10/3/14

Pharaoh’s first rejection concludes with Moses understanding God’s plan

Aim: Failure is a matter of perspective in God’s multi-generational plan
Exodus 5 and 6

A. Moses & Aaron’s first talk to Pharaoh ends in straw less work conditions for Israelites brick makers
(5:1-2) Moses & Aaron told Pharaoh “God says: Let my people go, honor me” but Pharaoh refused “I don’t know him, I will not”
(3) They said “God met with us, 3 day trip to offer sacrifices else he will kill us - plague or sword”
(4-9) Pharaoh: “why distract people from work?”, then ordered to withhold straw without reducing brick output, to dissuade them from listing to Moses & Aaron
(10-12) Egyptian slave drivers and Israelite foremen carried out the order, so people scattered in search for stubble
(13-14) Egyptian slave drivers pushed hard on people, whipped foremen meet quota!
(15-18) Foremen plead with Pharaoh “not our fault, your peoples fault”, but Pharaoh shouts “Lazy, do the same amount without straw”
(19-21) Foremen knew they were in trouble with the impossible work demanded & confronted Moses & Aaron, “God judge & punish you! – we stink, you put a sword in his hand to kill us”
Principle: Persecution comes from all sides when people follow God’s instruction
Application: When have I spoken helpful, life-giving truth in obedience to God’s instruction without fear of people’s reaction?

B. God Almighty answers Moses questions, repeating his plan, commanding him to speak to Israel & Pharaoh
(22-23) Moses went to Lord, protested “why trouble on Israel? why send me? I spoke, he became more brutal and you’ve done nothing”
(6:1) God answers, “I will do to Pharaoh, he’ll feel my strong hand, let you – force you to leave”
(2-5) “I am Yahweh/Lord, I appeared as El-Shaddai (God Almighty) to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, reaffirmed MY covenant, promised land of Canaan, I hear Israel, remember my covenant with them.
(6-8) “Tell Israel ‘I am the LORD, I will free you, rescue you from slavery, redeem you with my arm and great acts of Judgment, claim you as mine & be your God, you will know I am the LORD, bring & give you the promised land
(9-12) Moses obeyed, but they refused to listen anymore, discouraged by brutality of slavery – God said go to Pharaoh to let the people go – Moses objects “nobody listens to me”
(13) LORD God spoke to Moses & Aaron, gave orders for Israelites, for Pharaoh – commanded them to lead people out of Egypt
Principle: God consistently responds to our needs with Himself
Application: Do I take my hurts to God and look for his instruction? Will I focus on God’s name, character and promises to show me the way forward past my hurts?

C. God’s promise extends to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Levi, Kohath, Amram sons Aaron & Moses
(14-16) clans of Israel: 1) Reuben had Hanoch, Pallu, Hezron, & Carmi, 2) Simeon had Jemuel, Jamin, Ohad, Jakin, Zohar & Shaul (Canaanite mom) 3) Levi (lived 137 years) had Gershon, Kohath & Merari
(17-19 ) Gershon’s descendants: Libni & Shimel | Kohath’s (lived 133 years) descendants: Amram, Izhar, Hebron (no family) & Uzziel  | Merari’s descendants: Mahli & Mushi
(20-22) Amram (137 years) & Jochebed (father’s sister) had Aaron & Moses | Izhar had Korah, Nepheg & Zicri | Uzziel had Mishael, Elzaphan & Sithri
(23-27) Aaron married Elisheba (Amminadab’s daughter, Nahshon’s sister) had Nadab, Abihu, Eleazar & Ithamar | Korah had Assir, Elkanah & Abiasaph | Aaron’s son Eleazar married Putiel’s daughters had Phinehas | Levite family clans included Aaron & Moses, spoken to by LORD, spoke to Pharaoh to lead people out of Egypt
Principle: God’s plan is multi-generational and includes those without children
Application: Do I view children as a gift from God, an answer to his faithfulness – perhaps to an ancestor I’ve not known? Do I view family as a gift from God, extending to relatives? What needs to change in my actions and behavior to reflect my love and appreciation for family?

No comments: