11/7/14

God provides his covenant laws governing his Holy people

Exodus 21-24

Aim: God made the standards by which mankind can thrive in his presents


A) Laws for slaves, family, community and consequence

(21:1-6) Six year slave, leave the same or stay ear awl – forever

(7-11) daughter slaves, not freed – but can be bought back, for son – then treated like daughter

(10-11) polygamy first wife gets food, clothing and intimacy or freedom

(12-14) murder, death penalty, manslaughter, accident

(15-17) Death: strikes or dishonors father or mother and kidnappers

(18-21) fight? Assailant compensates victim for lost wages, full recovery – beat slave to death, owner punished

(22-25) punishment must match injury eye for eye

(28-36) owners liable for animals and holes

(22:1-4) thieves, killed, caught pays double

(5-15) Accidents and restitution for losses

(16-27) dating, sorceress, bestiality, foreigners, money lending

Application: What area of my life do I break laws? Will I consider my lawlessness in opposition to God and repent? Will I consider my lawlessness is keeping me selfishly away from him?


B) Laws of holiness to God

(28-31) don’t dishonor God by holding back – be holy

(23:1-9) don’t pass rumors or follow the crowd doing wrong for bribes

(10-13) let the land rest after six years, seventh day rest

(14-19) 3 festivals for God Unleavened bread 7 days spring left Egypt, Harvest first crops, Final Harvest end of season

(20-24) Angel of protections, obey his instructions. God will oppose your opposition

(25-33) serve only Lord your God, bless you – no treaties with other gods, trap of idolatry

(24:1-7) God gives Book of Covenant to Moses, Levites and Elders – they promise to obey

(8-14) Moses spatters blood to confirm covenant, ate covenant meal with God

(15-18) Moses spent 40 days with God, glory like a consuming fire at the mountain summit

Application: God calls me to be holy and focused on him. Keeping God's standards allows me to be my best and promote the best for those around me. Will I reconsider this blessing God has given me and spend time focused on God each day?

No comments: