2/20/15

Korah incites rebellion against God and loses everything

AIM: God has given us leaders, followers and guides

A) Korah incites rebellion against Moses and Moses turns to God
(16:1-3) Korah conspired with Dathan and Abiram, incited rebellion against Moses w 250 leaders
(4-7) Moses face down on ground, “Lord will show us his holy one”
(8-11) Moses God chose you for his service, ministry and presences – you complain about God, not Aaron
Application: Do I humbly accept the leaders that God has appointed over me? Do I recognize the leadership responsibility He has given me? Do I incite rebellion or lay my burdens down to God? What would my co-workers say I do?

B) Korah and his followers put God to the test and are killed
(12-18) Moses, angry tells Korah & followers to present themselves to God with incense at Tabernacle
(19-22) Korah stirred up the entire community against Moses & Aaron, Moses intercedes don’t kill everyone for one man
(23-30) Moses prophesies if they die unnaturally, God chose me, if not – Lord didn’t send me
(31-35) just then, ground split open took all of them, then closed up
Application: The people who follow me will suffer the consequences of my rebellion. So what am I doing to lead the children in my family towards a right view of God?

C) The bronze sheet at the alter and Aaron’s almond staff set to remind people not to rebel
(36-40) the 250 bronze incense burners, hammered sheet overlays the altar – warning future generations not to rebel
(41-45) Next morning people complain saying Aaron and Moses are killing people, Lord said Get away so I can destroy them.
(46-50) Aaron runs around with incense to make them right with the Lord, but 14,700 people died of plague
(17:1-12) Aaron’s chosen from 12 with Almond bud staff, ending people’s complaints
(12-13) Yet the people still complain doomed, ruined!

Application: We need reminders in our lives about past mistakes as well as faithfulness of leaders. Who has God called me to guide? Who needs me to come along side and help them get right with the Lord? Who is God bringing into my life to guide me?

No comments: