2/27/15

Miriam and Aaron’s death have a huge impact on Moses

AIM: Trusting and obeying God’s plan is always the best option

A) Miriam’s death is followed by complaints of water and God’s merciful plan for water
(1) Israelites camps at Kadesh, Miriam dies buried
 (2-5) No water, people rebel against Moses & Aaron “if only we died...killed with brothers. Egypt…this place is terrible, no food or drink”
(6-8) Moses and Aaron face down, Lord almond staff, speak to rock, water for all!
Application: We have opposing forces in our life, the grumbling of the world and the promises of God. When my spirit is in turmoil from the loss of a loved one, will I take time to listen to the promises of God? Will I focus on the reminders he has placed before me of his faithfulness and love? How will I demonstrate trust in God’s provision?

B) Moses doesn’t trust God’s plan and tries but fails at passing through Edom
(9-11) Moses and Aaron, staff-hit rock twice, yelled at people, they drank fill.
(12-13) Lord, “you didn’t trust me to demonstrate my holiness to the people” Meribah =arguing
(14-17) Moses ambassadors to king of Edom, “Old relatives, brutalized by Egyptians, Cried out to the LORD, angel brought us out… can we pass through without taking anything?”
(18-21) King of Edom, “stay out or fight!” Israel turned around
Application: Where am I involved in the right ministry but the wrong heart? Have I been “serving” with a mean spirit? Do people see me as yelling at them or speaking the truth of God in love? In past failures will I recognize my lack of trust in God?

C) Aaron death is followed by obedience and recognition
(22-26) Aaron dies on the border of Edom but first gives his priestly garments to Eleazar his son
(27-29) Moses did as the Lord commanded; everyone mourned for Aaron 30 days

Application: God can take away everything in order to correct our path. When my spirit is in turmoil from the loss of a loved one, will I remember the promises of God? He has given me eternal life in Jesus Christ, I have an eternal home in perfect fellowship with him in heaven. Trust is demonstrated by obedience and obedience is followed by clear recognition. 

No comments: