10/23/15

Jesus emphasizes perseverance and discipline for Philadelphia and Laodicea

Revelation 3:7-22
AIM: Jesus provides all that we need to persevere and clearly see ourselves.

A) Persevering Philadelphia crowned, victorious under persecution
(3:7) To angel/messenger church of Philadelphia from Jesus Holy, True, has Key of David, one who opens and closes (Isaiah 22:22, Matthew 16:19, Revelation 1:18)
(8) "I know things you do, opened door/no one can close. little strength, yet obeyed my word, didn't deny me
(9) Synagogue of Satan, liars will acknowledge you are loved by me. (John 8:31-47)
(10) You obeyed command to persevere, I'll protect you from testing the whole world will face
(11) I'm coming soon, hold on to what you have, so no one takes you crown (2 Timothy 4:8; James 1:12)
(12)Victorious pillars Temple of my God, never leave it. write on them the name of my God, Citizens in city of God, from heaven, new name
(13) Anyone must hear listen to Spirit, understand what he's saying to churches
Application: How am I obeying the command to persevere?

B) Lukewarm Laodicea rebuked for self-sufficiency, yet lovingly disciplined
(14) To angel/messenger church of Laodicea from Jesus, Amen, faithful, true witness, ruler of God's new creation
(15-16) "I know things you do, not hot/cold/wish you were either! lukewarm spit you out
(17) you say 'I'm rich, have all I want, no needs' but you are wrecked, miserable, poor, blind, naked
(18) buy gold from me, purified by fire, then be rich, buy white garments from me and ointment for eyes
(19) I correct and discipline everyone I love, be diligent turn from you indifference (Isaiah 1:18; 61:10; 1 Corinthians 15:53-58; Colossians 3:12-17 ;1 Peter 1:3-9;Deuteronomy 8:5; Proverbs 3:12; 1 Corinthians 11:32; Hebrews 12:4-11)
(20) LOOK! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends.
(21) Victorious sit with me, my throne, like me
(22) Anyone must hear listen to Spirit, understand what he's saying to churches
Application: When do I check my temperature and heart in prayer and in study of God's word? What is my temperature now?