5/31/15

Paul encourages God’s people follow Jesus with complete confidence


 AIM: Everything is right when we accept our position in Christ, evidenced by grace and peace in our heart and mind

A) Paul encourages God’s people to follow Jesus in word and deed, unified in obedience to God
(1:1-2) Paul and Timothy writing to all people belonging to Christ Jesus desire grace and peace from God
(1:3-11) Praying thanksgiving for their spreading, defending, confirming the Good News about Christ in love overflowing, filled with fruit of salvation, righteous character – glory to God
(1:12-=19) Everything that happened helped spread the Good News; encouraged others to speak God’s message regardless of their motive
(1:20-26) Hope and expect to never be ashamed, honor Christ in life and death, help them grow/experience joy of their faith
(27-30) Live as citizens of heaven, worthy conduct, standing together (spirit, purpose, struggle), not intimidated, privileged (trust in/suffering for)
(2:1-11) Got Jesus? Then agree/work together unity in love, humble attitude of Christ (not selfish, think of others, 5-8)
(2:12-18) Follow instructions, work hard – show results of salvation, obey God, live as an offering to God (13-15) with strength he provides as children of God
(2:19-30) Sending Timothy like a son, preaching the Good News – sending Epaphroditus brother, worker, soldier risked his life for work of Christ
Application: What is my attitude and motive when sharing God’s message of redemption? How would others describe the way I share my faith? (Loving, graceful, humble – unified with God’s people, hard working?) How does knowing my position in Christ as a citizen of heaven impact my daily life? ( do I feel the grace and peace of God in my heart and mind? What needs to change?)

B) Paul encourages God’s people to rejoice always with complete confidence in God
(3:1-11) Rejoice in the Lord always, put confidence in Jesus’ work and the Spirit of God – not human efforts, righteousness through faith, not obedience to law, resurrection from the dead, nothing else
(3:12-21, 4:1-3) Work toward perfection in Christ, citizens of heaven where Christ lives, who will return as our Savior – stay true to the Lord, settle disagreements
(4:4-9) Rejoice in the Lord always, be gentle to all without worry, in prayer/thanksgiving experience God’s peace (4-7). Think about true, honorable, right, pure, lovely and admirable things. Practice what you’ve heard and seen Paul doing, then the God of peace will be with you.
(4:10-20) Paul praises God for their concern, financial support and kindness trusting in God’s provision - learned to live in every situation: I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength (4:13)
(4:21-23) Final greetings to God’s people, who belong to Jesus Christ – grace be with your spirit.
Application: What do I have confidence in, my ability and actions or God’s ability and actions? How do I speak of blessing I’ve received, do I praise God or praise myself? What if I suddenly have nothing or suddenly have everything – would my life’s mission change, why or why not?