6/21/15

God makes saving faith available to all people, yet some reject it

AIM: Understanding the Gospel occurs in our heart, leading to confession


A) Paul desires Israel to understand God’s way of faith in Christ.
(1-2) My heart + prayer for enthusiastic people (toward God) to be saved
(3-4) They don’t understand God’s way, cling to own way (works righteousness)- Christ accomplished purpose of law, all who believe
(5-8) Moses Righteousness: wrong understanding = “obey law” vs. correct understanding = “faith in God” (God puts it close, on your lips and in your heart, so that you can obey - Deut 30:12-14)
Application: Do I understand other people's point of view towards God before I engage in sharing my own? How will I ask my Buddhist friend what they believe about God? When will I schedule time with my Buddhist friend to learn what they think about Jesus?


B) By believing we are made right with God, by confession we are saved.
(9-10) Openly declare Jesus is Lord, believe in heart God raised him from dead, believe in heart = right with God, declaring your faith = saved
(11) God revealed it’s safe to build your life on believing God (Isaiah 28:16)
(12-13) God saves and gives generously to all who call on him
Application: An essential belief of Christianity is that God raised Jesus from the dead, is the resurrection central in my teaching? Do I also give weight to need for declaring faith in the act of salvation? How well do I communicate steps of faith, do I understand my friends current faith journey?


C) Faith comes by hearing the Good News about Christ, but not to everyone.
(14-15) How unless believe, heard, told by someone, who go, sent, feet of messengers (Isaiah 52:7; Ephesians 6:15)
(16) Not everyone welcomes Good News, even Isaiah told about Jesus (Isaiah 53)
(17) “So faith comes from hearing, that is, hearing the Good News about Christ.”
(18) They have heard God (Psalm 19)
(19-20) They understood: some rejected, found while not looking, loved while indifferent (Deut.32.21; Isaiah 65:1; Rev 3:19-22)

(21) God’s arms were open all day but they follow their own evil paths and crooked schemes (Isaiah 65:2)
Application: Knowing that sharing the Good News some will come to faith, how will I start in my efforts to share the Good News daily?