6/5/16

Ezekiel receives insight into sin, idolatry, repentance and God's hand

Ezekiel 14
AIM: Embracing things that cause sin results in judgement

A) Ezekiel receives a message from the Lord about consequences of idolatry in the heart of leaders
(1-2) Visit with leaders brings message from Lord

  • (3) "These leaders set up idols in heart, embraced things that will make them fall into sin. Why should I listen to their request"
  • (4) "Tell them Sovereign Lord says; People of Israel set up idols in heart, fallen into sin ask for message, I'll answer they way idolatry deserves
  • (5) "I'll do this to capture (lay hold) the minds and hearts of my people who turned from me (estranged) to worship detestable idols
B) Coming to God without repentance from sin ends in judgement
(6) Therefore, tell the people of Israel: Repent, turn away from your idols, stop all your detestable sins
(7) I, Lord will answer everyone who reject/separates from me, taking idols in heart, fallen into sin yet comes to prophet to consult me through him, I, Lord will answer him
  • (8) I will turn against such people, terrible example of them, eliminating them from among my people, you will know that I am the Lord
  • (9) If prophet is deceived, I, Lord deceived him, my hand against him, destroy him from my people
  • (10) They'll bear punishment, prophet and those who seek their guidance
  • (11) In this way, people of Israel learn not to stray from me, polluting themselves with sin. They will be my people and I will be their God, declares the Lord"
C) Ezekiel illustrates how God's hand will cut people from land who act faithlessly 
(12) Then message from Lord came
  • (13) "Son of man, land/country sins against me acting faithlessly, my hand against it breaks its supply of bread/cause famine to destroy people and animals (14) Even if Noah, Daniel and Job were their there righteousness would only save themselves.
  • (15) "If wild beasts ravage land and no one passes through (16) three men couldn't save sons or daughters, they alone would be saved - land would be desolate
  • (17) "If I bring war/sword against land, cut off from int man and animals (18) three men couldn't save sons or daughters only they would be saved
  • (19) If pestilence/epidemic into land, disease killed people/animals (20) three men couldn't save sons or daughters only they would be saved
  • (21) How much more when I send all four acts of judgement: sword, famine, wild beasts, pestilence to cut off land from man and beast (22) but behold survivors, come as exiles in  Babylon - you'll see how wicked they are and be consoled (23) meet them, see their behavior understand these things are not done without cause