10/7/16

Jesus reminds Nicodemus of God's plan, John restates his position

John 3
AIM: God's plan of redemption requires faith in his name
A) Jesus reminds Nicodemus about Spiritual birth, faith and salvation
(1-2) Pharisee, Nicodemus, Jewish ruling council to Jesus, "Rabbi/from God/performed signs proofing God with him"
(3) Jesus, "No one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again."
(4) "How, can't be born when old/enter womb second time"
(5-6) repeats v3 + "born of water AND Spirit" - flesh to flesh, but Spirit births spirit
(7) you shouldn't be surprised at 'You must be born again'

  • Isaiah 44:3-5, "I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring, my blessing on your descendants. They will spring up like grass in a meadow, like poplar trees by flowing streams. Some will say I belong to the Lord others will call themselves the name of Israel"
  • Ezekiel 36:26-27, " I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws."
  • Ezekiel 37:9-10 Then he said to me, “Prophesy to the breath; prophesy, son of man, and say to it, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Come, breath, from the four winds and breathe into these slain, that they may live.’” So I prophesied as he commanded me, and breath entered them; they came to life and stood up on their feet—a vast army.
  • Ezekiel 37:14, " I will put my Spirit in you and you will live, and I will settle you in your own land. Then you will know that I the Lord have spoken, and I have done it, declares the Lord.’”0p
  • Promised Holy Spirit
(8-9) wind blows wherever it pleases, you can't tell where it's going or comes from - "how can this be" Nicodemus
(10-11) Israel's teacher doesn't understand these things, we speak what we know, testify what we've seen, you don't accept out testimony
(12-13) you don't believe us about earthly things, how then will you believe us about heavenly things? Only Son of Man knows of heaven (John 1:51)
(14-15) Moses lifted up the snake, so too the Son of Man must be lifted up, everyone who believes may have eternal life in him 
  • Luke 24:45 - after resurrection Jesus opened there eyes to what the Scriptures said about himself
Application: The Holy Spirit will remind us of what Jesus said and open our minds to the Scriptures, when will I commit to reading and pondering the Scriptures. What's the condition of my faith according to my deeds, is it strong and in the light? Have I experience the Spiritual birth, what evidence do I see of that?
B) God's love accepted by believers, rejected by evil doers
(16-17) God so loved the world, he gave his only Son, whoever believes has eternal life, not to condemn the world but save the world through him
(18) believers not condemned, unbelievers condemned already because the didn't believe in the name of God's one and only Son
(19) Verdict: Light came into the world but people loved darkness instead of light, deeds were evil, 
(20-21) evil hates light, avoids exposure, those living in truth come into the light to see plainly what's done is from God
Application: How am I living in the truth, what evidence in my lack of participation in God's work exposes that I'm not in the light?

C) John the baptist serves as the best man preparing for the bridegrooms wedding
(22-26) Jesus and disciples baptized, John also baptizing at Aenon near Salim plenty of people coming and water - argument about ceremonial washing - everyone going to Jesus
(27-30) John said I'm not him, bride is for bridegroom, I'm the best man
(31-32) Jesus from above, over all from heaven - testifies what he's seen and heard but no one accepts his testimony
(33-35) Those accepted Jesus testimony, certified God is truthful, he speaks the words of God gives Spirit without limit, Father loves Son - everything in his hands
(36) Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them.
Application: Do I serve God as a best man serves the bridegroom? Or have I made his ministry "my party". What needs to change in my heart and actions to focus on Jesus?