2/17/17

Remaining in Jesus brings relational consequences with God and people

John 15:1-16:4
AIM: God's appointed, through His love and grace change the world
Focus verses
You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name. This is my command: Love each other. - John 15:16-17
I have told you these things so that you won’t abandon your faith - John 16:1
A) Relational Consequences: Obedience to the Son, loving care of the Father produces joy in one another
(1-2) Jesus grapevine, Father gardener, cuts fruitless branch of mine prunes branches to bear more
(3-4) pruned and purified by Jesus message, remain in Jesus bear fruit, no fruit if disconnected
(5-6) Jesus vine, we branches, remain in Jesus produce much fruit, disconnected/do nothing/thrown away

  • but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.(John 10:26-27)

(7-8) Remain in Jesus, words remain in you ask/granted much fruit true disciples brings glory to Father

  • To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:31-32

(9-10) Loved you, Father loved me, Remain in my love, obey my commandments as I have my Fathers
(11-12) Words to fill joy, overflowing Love each other same way I love you
(13-15) no grater love, lay down life for friends, Jesus friends obey, Jesus our friend
(16-17) Jesus chose us, not us choosing him, appointed to produce lasting fruit Father gives whatever you ask in Jesus name - love each other

  • Election: make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble (2 Peter 1:10)
  • Fruit that lasts: But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. (Galatians 5:22-23)
  • live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God (Colossians 1:10)

B) Relational Consequences: World hates God and us but God's Advocate - Spirit of truth, testify's about Jesus
(18-19) World hates you, Jesus first - chose out of world, so it hates you
(20-21) remember slave not greater than master, persecuted not listening, rejected Jesus and God

  • Wash each others feet - John 13:16,12-17
  • Sent the twelve to lost sheep of Israel; All nations will hate you on account of Jesus Matthew 10:24, 18-20,22-25;
  • Judging others, can blind lead the blind, speck in another's eye, log in your own Luke 6:40, 37-42
(22-25) Guilt of sin because of the word, hatred of God, miracles yet still hatred fulfills Scriptures "hated without cause"
(26-27) Jesus sends Advocate, Spirit of truth, from Father, testify about Jesus, so will disciples from beginning (Jesus predicts the "New Testament" written by first generation disciples)
(16:1) Told you so you won't abandon you faith

  • Free will

(2) we expelled from synagogues, killers think doing a holy service for God

  • Jews/Christians (Acts 5:33;6:13,14; 26:9), Islam/Christians (700 A.D.), Catholic/Protestant reformation (500 years ago), many "holy wars"
  • (3) because they never known the Father or Jesus
  • (4) telling you now, so when happens remember Jesus warning
  • Isaiah 66:5 said "brothers will hate you, exclude you for "My name's sake, Daniel 11;33, Those who have insight among the people will give understanding to the many; yet they will fall by sword and by flame, by captivity and by plunder for many days. Matthew 24:9 Then they will hand you over to be persecuted and killed, and you will be hated by all nations on account of My name.
  • Luke 6:22, Blessed are you when people hate you, and when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil because of the Son of Man.