4/25/17

End of life: like winning the lottery or given a death sentence

My wife and I have completed our will recently and I was thinking about how people approach the end of life. From the Christian perspective, receiving news of terminal illness might be equated to winning the lottery. I don't have it yet and I don't necessarily want to leave my job, but when I get it... I quit! The truth is we will all die but how do you feel about death?

  • Fear, confusion, panic are thoughts that come to mind. 

What do you base your hopes or fears upon? For me, it's the truths and promises of the Bible. The Bible is mankind's history, explains all of the world's religions. Its central figure is Jesus Christ, the Son of God. He is the most controversial person in history. In fact, our time is based on his birth.
AD is AFTER Jesus was born. BC is BEFORE Jesus was born. AD comes from Latin Anno Domini meaning "In the year of Our Lord" BC comes from Before Christ.
When I was younger a person said, "close your eyes, you are in a white room without doors, how do you feel"

"This is what you think about death"

I was reading a Matthew Henry commentary on 1 Corinthians 15:6
The word resurrection, usually points out our existence beyond the grave. Of the apostle's doctrine not a trace can be found in all the teaching of philosophers. The doctrine of Christ's death and resurrection, is the foundation of Christianity. Remove this, and all our hopes for eternity sink at once. 
So I thought I'd investigate a little, see if philosophers have talked about resurrection and I came across this article that says
Plato affirmed both a pre-natal life of the soul and the soul’s continued life after the death of the body.

The latest version of the entry "Afterlife" may be cited via the earliest archive in which this version appears:

Hasker, William and Taliaferro, Charles, "Afterlife", The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (Winter 2014 Edition), Edward N. Zalta (ed.), URL = <https://plato.stanford.edu/archives/win2014/entries/afterlife/>.