6/10/17

Good planning and hard work lead to prosperity - no shortcuts (Proverbs 21:5)

Good planning and hard work lead to prosperity, but hasty shortcuts lead to poverty. - Proverbs 21:5

I love the story of David, a simple Shepard boy who did a good job with little, thought of it as training and took advantage of every opportunity. Then when it was time to fight Goliath (1 Samuel 17:33-36), he was ready and prepared for success. In my own life I remember being a dishwasher and noticing fools and wise people around me. I've worked foolishly at times and wise at other times. Wisdom is achieved by doing everything with excellence and helping others to do the same. By being willing to do something you've done before. My sister gave me good advice 20 years ago, "for what you produce you get paid, but for your time you should always be learning something"

Planning is Hope, Working is Faith and the reason is Love. They all last forever, but the greatest is love (1 Cor 13:13).

Prosperity and poverty are real and experienced in this life and the next. How we respond to the challenges of both are important now, for then (Luke 16:19-31). Don't see your lacking as an excuse to give up and don't see your wealth as something to hoard but to multiply (this is done through planning and work, see Matthew 25:14–30 tells of a master who was leaving his house to travel, and, before leaving, entrusted his property to his servants.)

  • Don't be negligent with your work (Proverbs 10:4)
  • Your very soul is impacted by how you work. The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, But the soul of the diligent is made fat. (Proverbs 13:4)

Prayer: God help me to live in your light. That I would wake up from the deeds in my life that are fruitless and dark. Help me to repent from my disobedience, from the thoughts, attitudes, and habits for which I'm ashamed. Help me God to be careful and wise - that each hour of the day I would make the most of every opportunity, knowing the days are evil. I don't want to live foolishly but to understand your will and respond with a life worthy of your call. Thank you, Jesus, for dying for my sin, giving me your Spirit of Truth and welcoming me into your family. (Eph 5:8-20)

http://biblehub.com/proverbs/21-5.htm