10/23/17

Eschatological, theological and doxological interpretations of the Bible

I love it when I see different perspectives or facets of scripture truths. When reading we can look at the text from a human perspective (what does this say about people), personal perspective (what does this say about me) or a divine perspective (what does this say about God). I was reading my Ryrie study Bible given to me by my now wife before we got married. I was joining a Bible Study with my brother in law Jon and my Pastor Daniel Henderson. Brian Vaughn was in that class and was the minister who married me to Kim on April 8, 2006.

Reading Dispensationalism by Charles Ryrie, Eschatology is viewed from the goal of "where we are moving", theological perspective is viewed from the self-revelation of God while the doxological view is the perspective of the overall manifestation of the glory of God. Right off the bat, Ryrie talks about another classic author C. I. Scofield, Rightly Dividing the Word of Truth - my brother Paul is always bringing this topic up to me - so I'm delighted this book is free online here:
http://www.biblebelievers.com/scofield/index.html

What a joy it is to think deeply about the scriptures.
Isaiah 40:8
The grass withers and the flowers (Isaiah 40:7, 5:24, James 1:10) fall,
    but the word (Isaiah 55:11, 59:21) of our God endures (Proverbs 19:21, Isaiah 7:7,9 Jeremiah 39:16) forever.(Psalm 119:89, Matthew 5:18, 1 Peter 1:24-25)”

I wish this book where available on audible... got it on kindle

So what is Dispensationalism? I'm finding out...it seems that it makes a distinction between Judaism and Christianity, distinguishing Old from New Testament. This is clear, God makes a promise and fulfills the promise. Where in the promise are we and how is life different for us, rather than for the people who lived before Christ? We don't know - as the world we live in and were born into is under the new covenant of Grace.

See "pour out my spirit" Isaiah 44:3, Ezekiel 39:29, even includes everyone Joel 2:28, 29 and fulfilled in Acts 2:17,18

So the doctrine of Dispensationalism is to make a distinction between how God has revealed himself to people at different times. Reminds me of Hebrews teaching how Old Testament points to Jesus and even says in the past God gave this and that.. but now has given us new revelation by his son. See Hebrews 1-4

Interesting reading, more to come