1/23/19

Fathers bring children up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord (Ephesians 6:4)

Ephesians 6:4;Proverbs 17:6;18:21
Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but BRING THEM up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord - Ephesians 6:4 NASB
A friend once said this truth, your children will have many friends but only one dad. These verses came to me as three Biblical principles on raising children. I have no children of my own but I can see the wisdom in the "bringing them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord", reminds me of how the Holy Spirit "guides us in all truth". Discipline and instruction are in the context of a relationship.
 - Deuteronomy 6:7,8Deuteronomy 11:19: "These words I am commanding you today are to be upon your hearts. And you shall teach them diligently to your children and speak of them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up"..."Teach them to your children, speaking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. "
 - the same words are two bookends, I'd like to do a study on Deut 6-Deut11:19 as this area is often quoted by Jesus "Love the Lord your God with all your heart", I see I missed this opportunity when we did Life of Mose in BSF

Here's the rest of the Biblical Principles of raising children from EMAW:
Old people are distinguished by grandchildren;
    children take pride in their parents. Proverbs 17:6 MSG

Death and life are in the power of the tongue,
And those who love it will eat its fruit. Proverbs 18:21 NASB

 - said another way -

Words kill, words give life;
    they’re either poison or fruit—you choose. Proverbs 18:21 MSG

Looking forward to visiting my dad this weekend.

No comments: