5/26/19

Is it possible to make progress without error?

I'm always intrigued when in my daily readings I encounter opposite advice. I'm listening to "A Blessed Church" by Robert Moris and this morning read Pastoral visitation.

Robert Morris sites the life of Moses and his need to get help, adding NT context of apostles dedicating time in the Word, Prayer - leaving waiting tables to others. Robert also adds his experience that good organizations empower the lay people to do ministry.

The article on Pastoral visitation seems to have recognized that this can go too far. While the article seems to encourage the pastor getting to know their people more intimately can offer better "shepherding", citing “Shepherd the flock of God among you, exercising oversight not under compulsion, but voluntarily, according to the will of God; and not for sordid gain but with eagerness...” (1 Peter 5:2).

Curious, I checked the statement of faith of the article producer and had an epiphany. Their focus is on correcting error and I looked at myself, "I've hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you" Psalm 119:19.

The big idea: Doing the right thing involves not doing the wrong things and that's only possible with listening to and following God.
Prayer is intimacy with God that leads to the fulfillment of His purpose
Knee work cultivates and bears fruit
Your view of God is the benchmark of your spiritual maturity


No comments: