9/5/19

Phileo loving friendships, Agape sacrificial love

I'm listening to the Blessed Church by Morris, he's where I first heard that Jesus asked Peter "do you love me" was actually two Greek words for Love, Phileo and Agape. Peter answers Jesus both times yes Lord, you know I Phileo you.

So I was looking for sermon notes online and found Feed My Lambs"—How To Do It by Spurgeon. Fun, take care of little ones in the faith as well as little ones.

Anyway, here's the greek for John 21:15

The third time Jesus appeared after his resurrection from the dead (John 21:14), Jesus says do you Agape me and Peter yes I Phileo you - feed my lambs

John 21:16, same agape, phileo - feed my sheep
John 21:17 third time Jesus asked do you phileo me, Peter yes! I phileo you - feed my sheep

Greek:
do you love
ἀγαπᾷς (agapas)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's Greek 25: To love, wish well to, take pleasure in, long for; denotes the love of reason, esteem. Perhaps from agan; to love.

I love
φιλῶ (philō)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 1st Person Singular
Strong's Greek 5368: From philos; to be a friend to (an individual or an object), i.e. Have affection for; specially, to kiss.


No comments: