1/3/21

God intervenes in Abraham's life through Abimelek (Gen 20)

AIM: God's revelation is to be shared, building strength and accountability

A) Old sinful pattern

1-2) Abraham to Negev, between Kadesh and Shur, +Gerar "Sarah my sister" Abimelek king of Gerar

 - Same lie from Gen 12:10-20) Abram betrays Sarai and Pharaoh

10-13) Famine, went to Egypt, devised scheme "Sarai my beautiful sister"

14-16) Sarai taken to pharaoh's, given sheep and cattle, male and female donkeys, servants, camels

17-20) Lord inflicted serious disease on Pharaoh because of Sarai, Pharaoh gave her back and sent Abram away

Application: How am I holding onto an old lie to cope with stressful situations? 

B) God's truth and provision revealed to Abimelek

3) God to Abimelek dream "your dead, she's married" 

 - God reveals the truth to non-believers, just as he does to believers.

4-5) Abimelek no sex, "Lord will you destroy an innocent nation? Didn't Abraham and Sarah lie to me? My conscience and hands are clean.

6-7) God dream "I know your conscience, I kept you from sinning, from touching, return her, prophet will pray for you, you'll live - else you'll die."

 - Questions for God bring clarity into our thinking and situation

Application: When I bring my questions and concerns to God, do I listen to his response? When will I take his word to heart and humbly submit to his gracious plan for my life? 

C) Abimelek responds with the proclamation, confrontation, and generocity

8) Early that morning Abimelek told officials who became God-fearing

 - God's revelation is to be shared, building strength and accountability

9-10) to Abraham "what's your reason? How have I wronged you to bring great guilt upon me, my kingdom? You should have never done this.

 - Could Abimelek just proclaim what God said to him instead of confronting Abraham? Would this have avoided the costly exchange? How much does my pride cost in time and money? Why not skip confronting people for their part and taking responsibility for my part.

11-12) Abraham, "self-talk - killers don't fear God, partial truth from past (is sister, "became" wife)

13) "God had me wander, scheme with Sarah: love me - say 'he's my brother'"

 - Confrontation from god-fearing others brings clarity to our wrong thinking

 - Yet interestingly, Abraham seems to be okay with his logic and reason

14-15) Abimelek, gives sheep, cattle, male/female slaves to Abraham + Sarah, My land choose to live where you like

16) Sarah, "I'm giving your brother 1,000 shekels of silver to cover the offense against you before all who are with you, you are completely vindicated"

 - Confrontation often requires an extra measure of grace and forgiveness displayed in generosity

17) Abraham prayed to God, God healed Abimelek, wives/slaves could have children

18) for the Lord kept all women in Abilmelek's household from conceiving because of Sarah

 - God's promise to Abimelek is fulfilled through Abimeleks righteous action

I was struck by how Abimelek could have come to the conclusion faster had he been more forthcoming. God is revealing to me to ask for help from my work colleagues and be held accountable to promised deliverables. 

No comments: