3/28/21

Catalytic Questions to save your life

 I'm listening to Better Decisions, Fewer Regrets 5 Questions to Help You Determine Your Next Move (Andy Stanley) , the big idea is to have a plan to make better decisions. Our decisions take us down a path, impacting our quality of life. My brother and I were talking about legacy, what story do you want to tell in five years from now. He brought up a good point that setting goals and personal expectations can be hard when we don't live up to them. Leading to disappointment and anger. I've tried to make the point of Hebrews, every day is a new day. As long as it's called today, don't harden your heart. "Morning by morning new mercies I see.", "push yourself to learn new ways to begin again"

1. Integrity: Am I being honest with myself? Our heart is deceitful. Not outright lying but deceitful, I deserve this, nobody will know, I'm not hurting anybody... "You will always underestimate the impact of your absence in time and eternity." How I spend my time does matter.

2. Legacy: What story do I want to tell when this is over? Joseph's work ethic and honor even as a slave. My greatest desire is for a stranger to say to my loved ones at my funeral, "you don't know me but Ben saved my life." 

3. Conscience: Is there a tension that deserves my attention? David's opportunity to kill Saul in the cave. 

4. Maturity: What is the wise thing to do? Not right or wrong, but wise. Don't go to the edge, stay away by focusing on three points of reference. Where did I come from, where am I now, where do I want to be. Change course and do the wise thing that will get you where you want to be.

5. Relationship: What does love require of me?  The other questions have an absolute payoff, but this one may be more difficult. We may not see a benefit this side of eternity. As of this writing, I have 107 posts labeled Love. This is the paramount question in the Christian faith. 

Conclusion for me, I want to live on purpose and show by my life that I'm an honorable, caring man of God. The Lord continues to show me James 3:17-18;Col 4:5-6.

But the wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace-loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and the fruit of good deeds. It shows no favoritism and is always sincere. And those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of righteousness.

Live wisely among those who are not believers, and make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be gracious and attractive so that you will have the right response for everyone.

Prayer: Lord, let my words be helpful to those who hear them. Let my delivery be tasteful and gentle, wholesome and pleasing. May I be the peacemaker in this world for your glory. Amen.   

No comments: