5/31/21

Innocent protected, haughty brought low, restoration being God's goal (Hosea 2-3)

 Hosea 2-3 

focus verses (the Gospel):

“In that day, I will answer,” says the Lord...(like a force of nature)...I will show love to those I called ‘Not loved.’ And to those I called ‘Not my people,’ I will say, ‘Now you are my people.’And they will reply, ‘You are our God!’” - Hosea 2:21-23

 ...people will return and devote themselves to the Lord their God and to David’s descendant, their king. In the last days, they will tremble in awe of the Lord and of his goodness. - Hosea 3:5

And the Lord said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. Exodus 33:18-19 NIV

A) Innocent protected, guilty and proud brought low 

2:1) Hoseah to brothers (Ammi) and sisters (Ruhamah) - my people, loved/pitied/obtained mercy

2) Charges against mother (Israel), not Lord's wife, He's no longer husband - remove prostitutes makeup, clothes

3-5) else, Lord will expose her as day she was born helpless, alone, children of prostitution without mercy

 - pregnant shameful way; said "I'll sell myself for food, water, nice clothes and drinks"

6) For this, she's fenced in with thornbushes, wall against her, can't find her way

 - Gen 3:24) Devilish doubt and shortsightedness brings sin and death into the world (Genesis 3), in our sin God protects us from making things worse.

 - 7) (Protection so that) She won't be able to party anymore and will come back to the Lord

8-13) She didn't notice/understand all God did, abundant blessings, so he'll take it away/uncover shame/punish/devoured/end

B) Restoration is God's goal in calamity

14) Lord allures, wilderness speak tenderly, reconciled

15) Gifts: vineyard, Valley of Achor, door of hope/expectation, sing and respond like youth

16-18) Then you'll say "my husband" instead of "my master", covenant, peace with animals/mankind

19-20) wife forever, righteousness, justice, unfailing love, compassion, faithful - you'll know LORD

21-22) God will answer; sky, earth, produce answers "Jezreel" "God plants"

23) God will plant a crop of Israelites for himself, love to those called "not loved", "you are my people" who reply "You are our God!"

LORD answers the sky as it pleads for clouds, the sky answers the earth with rain (Hosea 2:21, 10:12, Luke 8:15,18)

God's call for repentance if obeyed, brings joyful restoration to His land and people (Joel 2:12-27)

Doctrine of Election is God's irrevocable call for everyone (Genesis 25:23)

C) Salvation pictured in loving an unfaithful wife

1)  Lord to Hosea, "go and love your wife again, adulterer illustrates Lord loves Israel though worship other gods"

2-3) Bought her 15 silver, 5 bushels barley, measure wine. many days abstinent of sex

4) Shows Israel long time without king, sacrifices, pillars, priest

5) but after will return devote selves to Lord their God and David's descendant their king, in awe of Lord and his goodness

Peter reminds us God is able to His fulfill his promises, patiently (2 Peter 3)

No comments: