7/21/21

Fear the Lord, service and oaths (Deut 6:13-10:20, James 1:12, Psalm 119:30)

Key verse: 

You must not misuse the name of the Lord your God. The Lord will not let you go unpunished if you misuse his name. Deut 5:11

Books Ends:  Deuteronomy 6:13

Fear the LORD your God, serve Him only, and take your oaths in His name.

Deuteronomy 10:20

You are to fear the LORD your God and serve Him. Hold fast to Him and take your oaths in His name.

The Lord is showing me, I've missed an opportunity in BSF to look at Deuteronomy 1-26 in the life of Moses. I was thinking of my Friend Mark Jamerson this morning, we were teaching together and I was to prepare the lesson from Deut 1-26 (which I did, as Kim and I were in Pheonix during rainy weather at the time (Arizona Grand). But on the night, I was sick and sent home. 

I was thinking about perseverance and not giving in to temptations. Flowing through scriptures on BibleHub Cross References from James 1:12 to Exodus 20:6 and then Exodus 20:7. The Lord brought me to this simple key, "Fear the LORD you God, serve Him - Hold fast to Him and take your oaths in His name." the big idea this morning. Don't ignore God's commands, find the old ways to resist temptation and BeMature: Mature faith is consistently abiding in Christ and fruitful for people (James)

Psalm 119:30; James 1:12; Exodus 20:5-7; Leviticus 19:12; Deuteronomy 5:11; 10:20; Job 5:17

I’m feeling terrible—I couldn’t feel worse!

    Get me on my feet again. You promised, remember?

When I told my story, you responded;

    train me well in your deep wisdom.

Help me understand these things inside and out

    so I can ponder your miracle-wonders.

My sad life’s dilapidated, a falling-down barn;

    build me up again by your Word.

Barricade the road that goes Nowhere;

    grace me with your clear revelation.

I choose the true road to Somewhere,

    I post your road signs at every curve and corner.

I grasp and cling to whatever you tell me;

    God, don’t let me down!

I’ll run the course you lay out for me

    if you’ll just show me how. Psalm 119:25-32 MSG

I have chosen to be faithful; I have determined to live by your regulations. Psalm 119:30 NLT

God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. James 1:12 NLT

I have chosen the faithful way; I have placed Your ordinances before me. Psalm 119:30 AMP

 Blessed [happy, spiritually prosperous, favored by God] is the man who is steadfast under trial and perseveres when tempted; for when he has passed the test and been approved, he will receive the [victor’s] crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. James 1:12 AMP

You must not bow down to them or worship them, for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God who will not tolerate your affection for any other gods. I lay the sins of the parents upon their children; the entire family is affected—even children in the third and fourth generations of those who reject me. But I lavish unfailing love for a thousand generations on those who love me and obey my commands. You must not misuse the name of the Lord your God. The Lord will not let you go unpunished if you misuse his name. Exodus 20:5-7

Do not bring shame on the name of your God by using it to swear falsely. I am the Lord. Lev 19:12

You must fear the Lord your God and worship him and cling to him. Your oaths must be in his name alone. Deut 10:20

Anyone who meets a testing challenge head-on and manages to stick it out is mighty fortunate. For such persons loyally in love with God, the reward is life and more life. James 1:12 MSG

No comments: