Enjoyed Our Call Holy Living – Timothy Keller Sermon his central idea is that holiness is not primarily moral rule-keeping. It is belonging to God. Peter grounds holy living in identity, redemption, and hope. Because Christ purchased us at extraordinary cost, holiness becomes the response of a person who increasingly says, “My life is His.”
Key takeaways with Scripture
- Holiness begins with belonging, not behaving.
To be holy means to be set apart for God and available for His purposes. Obedience follows from that new identity rather than creating it.
1 Peter 1:15–16: “Be holy, because I am holy.”
See also 1 Corinthians 6:19–20; Romans 14:7–8; Exodus 19:5–6; 2 Timothy 2:20–21.
A helpful summary is: I am not my own. I belong to God.
- Holiness transforms the mind.
Peter begins, “prepare your minds for action” or, literally, “gird up the loins of your mind.” Holiness requires disciplined thinking. What captures the mind eventually shapes desires, decisions, and behavior.
1 Peter 1:13
See also Romans 12:1–2; Philippians 4:8; Colossians 3:1–2; 2 Corinthians 10:5; Psalm 1:1–3.
The question shifts from simply, “What am I allowed to do?” to “What is forming the way I think?”
- Holiness involves wholehearted obedience.
Peter contrasts our former desires with living as “obedient children.” Biblical obedience is not selective. We increasingly surrender even those areas where God's will conflicts with our preferences.
1 Peter 1:14–15
See also John 14:15; John 14:21; Luke 6:46; James 1:22–25; Romans 6:16–18.
Jesus captures this discipleship posture in Luke 9:23: deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow Him.
- Holiness reaches every part of life.
Peter says, “be holy in all you do.” Christianity does not divide life into sacred and secular categories. Work, money, sexuality, relationships, speech, entertainment, ambitions, and private thoughts all come under Christ's lordship.
1 Peter 1:15
See also Colossians 3:17, 23–24; 1 Corinthians 10:31; Romans 12:1; Ephesians 4:20–24.
Holiness therefore asks: “What would it look like for this part of my life to belong completely to God?”
- Holiness includes reverent awe, not merely discipline.
Peter tells believers to “live out your time as foreigners here in reverent fear.” Keller's point about awe is important. Holiness grows not merely from stronger willpower, but from seeing God as He truly is.
1 Peter 1:17
See also Proverbs 9:10; Isaiah 6:1–8; Hebrews 12:28–29; Psalm 96:9.
Isaiah 6 provides a powerful picture. Isaiah sees God's holiness, recognizes his own sin, receives cleansing, and then responds, “Here am I. Send me!” Holiness moves from revelation → repentance → cleansing → surrender → mission.
- The gospel, not fear of punishment, provides the deepest motivation for holiness.
Peter reminds Christians that they were redeemed not with silver or gold, but “with the precious blood of Christ.” Our obedience is a response to redemption already accomplished.
1 Peter 1:18–19
See also Ephesians 2:8–10; Titus 2:11–14; Romans 5:8; 2 Corinthians 5:14–15; Revelation 5:9–10.
This prevents holiness from becoming legalism. We do not become holy so Christ will redeem us. We pursue holiness because Christ has redeemed us.
- Jesus demonstrates what complete consecration looks like.
Keller's reference to Christ sanctifying Himself connects strongly with Jesus' prayer before the cross:
John 17:19: “For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.”
Jesus completely gives Himself to the Father's will for our sake. See also Philippians 2:5–8; Hebrews 10:5–10; Mark 10:45; Galatians 2:20.
This creates the gospel paradox: Christ gave Himself completely for us, freeing us to give ourselves completely to Him.
- God's holiness becomes beautiful when seen through the cross.
The Old Testament repeatedly portrays God's holiness as overwhelming. Isaiah cries, “Woe to me!” Yet in Christ, the holy God Himself provides the sacrifice that allows sinful people to approach Him.
Isaiah 6:3–7 → Hebrews 10:19–22
Also compare Exodus 33:18–23; Leviticus 11:44–45; John 1:14, 18; Hebrews 4:14–16; Revelation 4:8–11.
That helps explain Keller's description of God's holiness in Christ as not merely awesome, but gorgeous. At the cross, God's absolute holiness and extraordinary love are revealed together.
The strongest synthesis may be Belong → Behold → Become → Behave. I belong to God because Christ redeemed me. I behold God's holiness and Christ's sacrificial love. By grace I become increasingly like the One to whom I belong. Therefore, I behave differently, not to earn God's acceptance, but because I have already been claimed by Him.
Action items: For personal study, read 1 Peter 1:13–19, then Isaiah 6:1–8, Romans 12:1–2, and John 17:13–19. Ask one application question: “What part of my life am I still treating as mine rather than God's?”
No comments:
Post a Comment