4/25/17

Run to win (don't just wear the shirt)

1 Cor 9:24-27

Apr. 23, 2017
"Run to Win" - 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 - Dr. Rob Rienow, Visionary Family Ministries
Watch • Listen • Outline • Study Guide

24 Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!
- Run to win, Greeks invented marathon, Olympics - we still do this today.
- Paul uses sports illustration because it was big for the people
- wreath crown fades and dies, now all people get a prize
Phil 3:8-14, the prize to be like Christ, resurrection
- eternal life, new body on a new physical world
- to gain Christ, to know him and be found in him

What excited me about my faith, eternal life or knowing Jesus? They are inseparable, can't have one without the other.

Self-control. Fruit of the Spirit. Gal 5:22-23
- these are not natural to us.
- essential virtue of the Christian life, like faithfulness and love.
Application: Pray God give me more self-control.

25 All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize.

26 So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing.
19, 22-23, servant to all, sake of the gospel
Application: Pray God show me where I'm running aimlessly

The Christian life is like an ultra-marathon, no wasted energy. One foot in front if the other. Application: help me to do it today.

Shadowboxing (punching the air) can look very impressive. Looking like a Christian or being a Christian.
- parent's give kids the shirt, teach about knowing Jesus and eternal life put them on the starting line. But the child runs the race.
- are you in the race or just wearing the shirt?

27 I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.
- would anyone (of sound mind)  submit themselves to pain? Workout, shredded...
- no discipline feels good at the time, but it reaps a harvest Heb 12:11
- disqualified = loose salvation. No.
 - don't take a single analogy to far, makes sense in terms of the whole chapter
- Disqualified from the ministry, from preaching the gospel.
- pastors can be disqualified not from salvation but from a ministry

Hebrews 12:1-2, run with endurance the race set before us.