5/29/17

Summer Bible Study on Proverbs


I've been studying Proverbs with work friends in a community called "S.A.L.T. (Salt and Light Together)", in parallel I've been studying the Gospel of John with BSF. I love it when God harmonizes his word in my life. In this study, I've seen how John 1:1 personifies the "Word" and Proverbs personifies "Wisdom". Just when I needed it most, I read a book by my friend and mentor Daniel Henderson called "The Prayer God Loves To Answer DISCOVER THE POWER OF PRAYING FOR LIFE-CHANGING GOSPEL WISDOM"

I was thinking of a "Book, Burger and Catch-up" study for the summer on Proverbs and came across an excellent resource from Rob Harbison. This study is 52 weeks and looks awesome from the start. On page 2 he asked "How did Solomon obtain his wisdom? How do we obtain our wisdom (James 1:5-8; 3:13-18)? But I only have 8 weeks in the summer, so what to choose out of these 52 weeks?

Fast forward two weeks:
Last night I received an excellent training on how the desires of the heart directly impact our actions, feelings, thoughts and words. The main point from Brent Aucin of Faith Lafayette is;
"I do what I do because I want what I want" - his message was on James 4:1-10 and Matthew 15:10-20.

So for the summer study, I've decided to take the portion of Rob Harbison's study that deals with the Human Heart and then end with the nature of God. 10 pages, that's exactly 6 weeks.

Here's the calendar for 1 hour meetings starting 8:00 am CST Saturdays, section and page number from TOC of questions:
June 3, the human heart - Pride (page 8)
June 10, Human Heart - Anger (page 10)
June 17, Human Heart - Broken Spirit (page 12)
June 24, Human Heart - Hatred (page 14)
July 1, Off for vacation
July 8, Human Heart - Self-Control (page 16)
July 15, Nature of God (page 18)