10/8/17

Fools make fun of guilt, but the godly acknowledge it and seek reconciliation (Proverbs 14:9)

The Bible talks a lot about the human condition of guilt, shame, and embarrassment for sin (Adam and Eve hid from God). Guilt acknowledges that there are real consequences for sin. Sin can be blatant disobedience, "accidental" negligence, refusing corrective action or denying the truth. Cain gives us a good picture of what refusing corrective action and denying the truth looks like (Gen 4), it also shows us God's restraining grace in reconciliation and what "seeking reconciliation" means. Gen 4:26 says, "At that time people began to call on the name of the Lord." Today, the world has the Holy Spirit pouring out guilt to each person (Joel 2:28; Acts 2:17). Jesus said this would happen once he went to his Father after his death and resurrection and why this would happen (John 16:7-9). I love the gospel of John, in my study of John I summarized the purpose of guilt as "Jesus teaches about the Father's love and Holy Spirit's guidance (John 16:5-33)"

A Bible study says that a godly person can be characterized as having "the ability to discern God's right way from the wrong, and to voluntarily surrender one's own will to do what is right in God's sight and, with the promised supernatural help, to resist the wrong even under pressure and temptation." Contrast the godly person with the fool, the fool says in their heart there is no God (Psalm 14:1-3). Other words for a fool in the Bible is hard-hearted, stiff-necked, arrogant, and boastful. 

Fools make fun of guilt

but the godly 

acknowledge it 

and seek reconciliation
  • Reconciliation, not just forgiveness (Jesus forgave on the cross, he reconciles with the Holy Spirit, our repentance brought on by the goodness of God). He has given us the ministry of reconciliation (2 Corinthians 5:18-19). Love Covers a multitude of sins (1 Peter 4:8).
Prayer: Heavenly Father, I'm a sinner I've fallen short of your standard, I've made a mess of the time you've given me, I continue to go my way when you've shown me your way. Help me to not be like Cain where my sacrifice is not pleasing to you. "Take my life and let it be consecrated Lord to thee." A shepherd who feeds others, a cloud that brings steady rain - who brings gifts to others, steady in my spirit by your grace and power to make right my wrongs and bring me back through your corrective, loving discipline. 

Help me Lord to focus on Jesus who had the same struggles and temptations as I do but didn't sin. He shows the way of perfect unity with you in the power of the Holy Spirit. I know you have great plans for me, I've seen your miraculous love breaking through these days. Give me the grace to walk in step with your Spirit. "I love you Lord and I lift my voice to worship you, oh my soul rejoice. Take joy my King in what you hear may it be a sweet, sweet sound in your ear." Thank you for accepting me, help me to accept others and bring reconciliation for your glory to shine brightly for future generations to sing of your love. Thank you for another day of breath and a good heart. Your great love will see me through, you are the peace in my troubled sea.

"You are a force, as strong as gravity but you never weigh me down. Solid as Rock and heavy on my heart but you never weigh me down. No, you never weigh me down. Faithful One, how I'm counting on your loving-kindness, heaven's Son, how you shine and sweep away my shadows. You've always carried me. Faithful One."
http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/t/m/tmlalib.htm