2/25/18

Ministry is both "go tell" AND "come together"

I like reading desiringgod.org, in Brothers, Supernatural Does Not Mean Stupid Piper made this statement:
New Testament has none of that emphasis on opulence (grand temples), because it is a “go-tell-religion.” The mission impulse dominates the domestic impulse. We are sojourners. We are sent. “Take nothing for your journey, no staff, nor bag, nor bread, nor money; and do not have two tunics” (Luke 9:3). This saying is not normative for all mission, but it does flavor everything.
So the quest for excellence is always seasoned by a mission-oriented mentality with a bent toward simplicity. It’s a bent, not an absolute. There may be a place for a cathedral here and there. But the people of God won’t lean toward living in palaces. And the vast work of the kingdom will happen mainly in the rugged outposts.
I thought, YES but then what about coming together ("don't grow weary of meeting together") and come and see (woman at the well).

I'm always looking for ways to go tell the gospel, but how am I doing at inviting others to join me? I was privileged to join my Catholic friend during Ash Wednesday this year at St Olaf Church across from my work. It was a wonderful experience and generally, when people come to church with me it's a worthwhile experience (but not always). This advertisement I saw sums up the not always part:

I like Andy Stanly and Pastor Linn from https://www.cornerstoneonline.com/, they are practical/Biblical and relational, encouraging people to "come together" and be part of what God is doing.

No comments: