1/16/19

Five postures ministers take in relating to God (under, over, from, for, with)

My friend Josh shared this book with me - called With reimaging the way you related to God. I'm 40 pages in and love it. It has the best definition of sin I've seen. Sin is the human desire to control apart from God. Here's my paraphrase of the postures ministers take in the Christian faith:

  • Under God: if I follow the rules God will bless me (because he owes me or has too)
  • Over God: tools and techniques are needed, prayer and spirituality is time wasted (I'm smarter than God)
  • From God: a faith ritual or superstition to get what I want from God (health, wealth, prosperity)
  • For God: (most acceptable but still off) Doing things for God and His kingdom gives purpose, meaning (end poverty, help others, grow the church)
This helps makes sense in what we see in church leadership, often trying to get one group into another. Like from "Over God" to "Under God" and to move "from God" to "for God". 

The intention we see from Beginning to End is life WITH God.

No comments: