4/20/19

"Have Faith" means to develop Christian virtues and grow in grace

Remembering last summer, having studied 1 and 2 Peter, I've been thinking of helping myself and others grow in faith. 2 Peter is about developing Christian virtues (2 Peter 1:3-11) and to live a life that pleases God. What does it look like in my work, hobbies, and recreation? How can I protect from threats of apostasy and hypocrisy? Seems easy to go our own way, yet God directs us when we give Him our heart. Again I'm seeing that growing in Grace is to "do righteousness and justice" (Proverbs 21:1-2,3, 16:2, 12:15).
The dilemma:

  • Most men will proclaim every one his own goodness: but a faithful man who can find? Proverbs 20:6
  • There is a generation that are pure in their own eyes, and yet is not washed from their filthiness. Proverbs 30:12
The solution:
  • I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings. Jeremiah 17:10
  • I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:11
  • And the seeds that fell on the good soil represent honest, good-hearted people who hear God’s word, cling to it, and patiently produce a huge harvest. Luke 8:15
I've enjoyed listening to John Bevere, Extraordinary: Faith is the way we connect to God's grace. He tells good stories that illustrate the point. 
  • Three farmers with land next to a river, only one taps into he river to irrigate his land. That one farmer had faith to access the river of grace and his life was abundant.
  • Faith is like digging a trench to the city water from your house. It's how you access grace.
  • Without faith it's impossible to please God Heb 11:1,6,7. It's impossible to live in his grace.
  • Faith comes by hearing the message about Christ (Romans 10)
  • Hope plans, faith works, love oversees (1 Cor 13:13)


https://biblehub.com/proverbs/21-2.htm

No comments: