6/12/19

Getting to know someone overlooked or ignored

Matthew 25:31-46, verse 40: Then the King will say, ‘I’m telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.’ MSG

Matthew 28:18-20 The Message (MSG)
18-20 Jesus, undeterred, went right ahead and gave his charge: “God authorized and commanded me to commission you: 
1) Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life,
2) marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
3) Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you.
I’ll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age.”

What does it mean to me?

  • God's authority is power, specifically, grace that I can access through faith. Faith not just in the good news of Jesus life, death, and resurrection but in the truth that helping the overlooked person is actually helping God. 
  • To train is to direct growth by encouragement, leading, and guidance. Training is also teaching, enlightening, and giving instruction. We are to do this with everyone near and far. It's not about who we are going to see but the person on the way. (reminds me to have a Tasteful, sunny disposition)
  • Marking with baptism is a public profession of an inner reality. It's like a birthday, wedding day or graduation day or Passover, it's something to be remembered and celebrated. Baptism should be done by a person who has been a strong part of your faith - not a stranger. Daniel Henderson baptized me and led me in a discipleship program over the course of a year (above and beyond Sunday church). It was more than him though, it was a group of 30 guys, so baptism isn't something we all get to share in, but it's something we all can celebrate together. 
  • I love the idea of instructing these overlooked and ignored people in the "practice" of all that Jesus commands. Our faith is more than an intellectual belief it's a way of life. 



No comments: