7/5/19

How all things work together for our good (Romans 8:28)

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28 NIV

This comes true for us when we listen to God and abide in him through faith and prayer. These have come together in my own life so I can see God working all things together includes the people and events. In Alpha, they illustrate Jesus teaching in John 15 (abide in me and I'll abide in you) like a sponge being in the water and the water in the sponge.

I had a wonderful time with my brother yesterday as God's word prepared me for a rich conversation around Bible interpretation. We talked about contradictions being understood over time. Like water being liquid, gas (vapor), and solid (ice). The big idea is that while all things work together for our good, we play an active part in the process. Our words and actions matter to God and others.

We talked about the powerful delusion God sends that make people believe a lie (1 Thes 2:11). I've witnessed this being drugs that remove the healthy senses. Users feel "high" though anyone can see they are low, they see "counterfeit power and signs and miracles" (2 Thes 2:9). This is because they refuse to love and accept the truth that would save them (2 Thes 2:10). We then talked about this process as God removing his restraining grace, allow people to go where they will. This is talked about in detail in Romans 1:28-29 (see Diagnostics of a depraved psychology and consequences (Romans 1:18-32))

I was reading How Life is Good, Even When It Isn’t by Daniel Henderson, he makes these four excellent points about obedience, perspective, character, and reward.
1. We Embrace a Deeper Obedience (trials awaken us to the value of God's word)
“Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep Your word.” Psalm 119:67,
“It is good for me that I have been afflicted, that I may learn Your statutes” (119:71)
 “in faithfulness, You have afflicted me” (119:75)
2. We Cultivate an Eternal Perspective
“Therefore we do not lose heart... the inward man is being renewed day by day...we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal” (2 Corinthians 4:16-18)
3. We Develop More Godly Character
James 1:2-3 tells us, “My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.” Romans 5:3-4 affirms, “We also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope.”
4. We Assure an Eternal Reward
James 1:12 says, “Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.” 
“In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ” (1 Peter 1:6-7).
Prayer: God help me to trust you today and walk in your truth. Thank you for the guidance your word gives and the people and events that help me understand. Thank you for our lives that impact eachother wonderfully Give us grace to follow where you lead. Amen.

No comments: