2/7/21

Discovery mindset is one of three keys to where I want to be

I've been enjoying a few books over the past few months recommended by friends and family. Atomic Habits, Limitless, and You are the placebo. These are in a category of the evidence-based alternative to self-help, my all time favorite is Serenity Principle. I generally listen to books via Audible while in the car, walking my dog, or cleaning the house. The Bible tells us to "renew our minds" Romans 12:1-3 and to set our minds on things above, Colossians 3:2  good things Phil 4:8. These remind me that it's all about mindset - even our "gut feelings" and "heartache". The big idea for me, is that faith in God enables me to discover everything He wants for my life. This post goes through the Limitless audiobook supplemental material and all pictures and flow are from Jim Kwik, Hayhouse Inc. He says it's not how SMART you are, it's HOW you are smart. 

Limited Mindset

Limitless Mindset

Like a thermostat, just able to read the temperature of the room. No ability to change its mood. Says “it is what it is”Like a thermometer, sets the temperature - able to bring it hirer or lower based on the conditions. Says “this is how it will be”

What we do comes from what we believe. We can see our words and behavior but how we make sense of it and what values we hold dear and ultimately what we believe is beneath the surface. 



My motivation right now: I want to learn better so that I can build a bridge from previous peaks to new peaks - showing the way for others.  

Pain can be a motivator, write down what pains you. Right now I take on too many responsibilities instead of delegating to others and coaching them to successful ends. I need to get better at transferring my knowledge and enabling a wide range of team members to be successful through my design.

The benefits and advantages to learning better include having the feeling of being "on." It helps me to "think around the corner" and do the "new and different." When I'm able to bring learning to my life - I skip the mistakes and traps others have fallen in and I get to the other side. My knowledge becomes a stable bridge to walk across and help others find what I've found. 

Motivation needs to have a compelling reason, backed by emotion. This is a reason music is so powerful in our lives as a motivator or demotivator. 2 Corinthians 5:17 (A New Creation) - Rizers "Therefore if anyone is IN CHRIST he is a NEW Creation", "The OLD has passed away, BEHOLD the NEW has come"

What we feed ourselves mentally, emotionally, and physically matters. I've seen a cycle in my life physical leads to emotional leads to spiritual leads to behavior. All to often we want to change our behavior because that's what we see but obviously we can see the physical environment around us and what we eat, how we sleep, how we exercise and seeing these things can change (leading to emotional, spiritual) changes we want to see in our lives. 


When we get into a learning habit our retention increases. It's like exercising our brain. Success in Christian living can be boiled down to a children's exercise song: "Read your Bible, pray every day - then you'll grow, grow, grow. Then you'll grow, grow, grow. Then you'll grow, grow, grow" - "Don't read your Bible, forget to pray then you'll shrink, shrink, shrink. Then you'll shrink, shrink, shrink. Then you'll shrink, shrink, shrink. BSF aims to instill a vibrant relationship with God through this practice. 


Good stuff here: https://www.limitlessbook.com/resources



No comments: