10/9/22

When Jesus was dying he was speaking God's word

 I've had the opportunity to learn about unanswered prayer at my work these past few months. Our last session was called Holy Saturday: Where?

I learned that when Jesus was heard saying "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" and "It is finished." This is the first part of Psalm 22 and the last part:

Like an electrical cord, we need the positive and negative to flow. By holding together the hurt and the hope, power can flow through our pain. 

Jesus was meticulously quoting scripture that spoke to his hurt and hope.

Despair: (Psalm 22:1-2)

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? (Matthew 27:46) Why are you so far from saving me, so far from my cries of anguish? My God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer, by night, but I find no rest.

Hope: (Psalm 22:3-4)

Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One; you are the one Israel praises. In you our ancestors put their trust; they trusted and you delivered them. To you they cried out and were saved; in you they trusted and were not put to shame.

Despair (Psalm 22:11,16-18)

Do not be far from me, for trouble is near and there is no one to help...they pierce my hands and my feet. All my bones are on display; people stare and gloat over me. They divide my clothes among them and cast lots for my garment.

Hope (Psalm 22:27-28,30-31)

All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the Lord, and all the families of the nations will bow down before him, for dominion belongs to the Lord and he rules over the nations...Posterity will serve him; future generations will be told about the Lord. They will proclaim his righteousness, declaring to a people yet unborn: He has done it! (John 19:30)

Matthew 27:45-46;Psalm 22:1,31;John 19:28-30;Psalm 22


No comments: