11/5/22

Free will is characterized by wisdom and response-ability

We all suffer from a "sincere delusion," meaning we make up our minds about what's true and possible. We lock into a personal state of mind, a personality. Over the years, I've developed a personal reality that every day is a gift, new and full of possibility and promise. Today is the best day ever, and I'm excited to see, hear and experience everything about it.  

  • Prepared: My quiet time with the Lord is fresh, and I learn something new. I'm pruned, cleansed, fed, and ready to go where he sends me. I'm like a sponge that's been soaked in fresh water and can be carried a little distance to be squeezed into a dry container of another who is wilted. 
  • Positioned: I answer calls with a genuine attitude of "how can I help you." 
  • Skippy: I have a "pep-in-my-step," my heart sings, "I-love-you" to my Lord, my wife, and my life. If Kim hears me, she'll reply, "I-love-you-too."
  • Flowing: The routine chores bring joy; I'm privileged to see and know the following action to take. 
  • Bright: I feel "on," and I want others to know that I care; by the fruit of my life. What I produce in the people around me, what you can see in me.

You could say my "Sincere delusion" stems from a high level of security. Yet, I can be honest when I'm not feeling well. This week my friend Frank  died suddenly I had a big test coming up that was difficult, and several family responsibilities kept me from proper studying and preparation. I have mounting pressures at work and big hopes for the future. 

In Chapter 3 of the Serenity Principle (Thought the creator of our Universe), there is a great picture;

Our consciousness views external events through our personalized thought system (brain). Inside our personal filter is "belief, memories, concepts, and ideas." As we look at the outside world, our brain starts to create things about it through "perception, emotional response, behavior or action, the reaction of others or changes in the situation." These reinforce our beliefs and are stored as memories and become personal biases (concepts), yet they also have the power to bring new ideas. 

William James once said: "Genius...means little more than the faculty of perceiving in an unhabitual way."

Have you ever had a "serious" problem that had you so worried, confused, and full of negative emotions that you couldn't figure it out? After getting away from your problem-perhaps through a good night's sleep or a visit with a close friend - suddenly you had an insight. the solution seemed obvious. This is an example of wisdom at work

Paradoxically, when we momentarily forget our problems or release our grip on negative thinking, our view shifts to a higher, more objective perspective. Consider this analogy: if you focus on the smashed bug on the windshield of your car, you will definitely miss the scenery and likely have an accident. Wisdom is like looking through the windshield, not at it.

When people are attached to their thinking, they seldom have insights. Instead, they get bogged down in their problems, unable to tap their wisdom. Insights occur when the mind is quiet, not busy. 

Wisdom is a state of mind. We can't try to be wise - we already are, naturally. When we are in this state, we see life objectively and learn more quickly, without the interference of insecurity. We readily love and share intimacy with others. We communicate easily because we listen to others and to our hearts instead of depending upon a set of beliefs. 

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Serenity is a prerequisite to the state of mind known as wisdom. - Joseph Bailey

No comments: