1/2/23

What is goodness? Why is it a worthwhile pursuit?

I was thinking about who I want to be and testing myself if I'm still growing. I went to the fruit of Spirit and saw another translation that had substituted goodness with generosity. 

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Galatians 5:22-23 The Phillips translation puts it like this: The Spirit however, produces in human life fruits such as these: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, fidelity, tolerance and self-control—and no law exists against any of them. Those who belong to Christ have crucified their old nature with all that it loved and lusted for. If our lives are centred in the Spirit, let us be guided by the Spirit.

So I looked up goodness and came across these wonderful truths

When God revealed himself to Moses he said “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. Exodus 33:19

God's attributes are what he's famous for. His goodness is shown in his mercy and compassion. He cause goodness to pass in front of you, to come to mind. Everyone on the planet can see the mercy and compassion of God. God has revealed these truths in his name "I am the God who provides"

God causes his goodness to pass in front of you, revealing a choice we have. Will I follow his goodness? Have I received His guide in my heart? Will I treat this day as a gift, the air I breath and all that is in me that's enable me to be alive. My heart beating, blood flowing and body turning food into strength and clarity of thought. Oh my goodness! The bread from heaven, the living water flowing from the rock, without this nourishment we feel only the despair of hypocrisy and no energy to change. 

Many see faith as a choice, or what do you believe to be true. However, Ephesians 2:8-10 shows that faith is a gift. From this gift comes the fruit of good works which God planed for us. Think about the family and time you've been born into? What good works are only available for you as a husband, brother, father or friend? Faith comes from hearing the word about Christ, the promise of God, his goodness, mercy and compassion (Romans 10:17). 

Confirming One’s Calling and Election

His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. (2 Peter 1:3)

2 Peter 1:5, says do your best [make every effort; diligently strive]  to add/compliment/supplement/supply to your faith goodness 

Goodness is describe in other translations with these words

  • midah hatov (the attribute of virtue)
  • virtue (excellence, resolution, Christian energy)
  • moral excellence, integrity, moral character, excellence of character
  • generous provision of moral excellence
  • holy living
  • to live a good life, worthiness
Goodness is possible every day we wake-up and recognize we belong to Christ. Like Christ we willingly put ourselves, our nature on the Cross, and be guided by the Spirit. 

No comments: