4/16/23

Listening helps people discover where they want to be

Being lost is funny because you know where you are but don't know how to get where you want to be. Sometimes we can be so distraught about the current situation we can't even describe where we want to be. I enjoy Bible study in BSF because we bridge scripture into our lives and see miraculous breakthroughs. 

This week we studied Lamentations and how to respond to difficult people and life situations. The big idea of Lamentations is that when we cry out to God about specific hurts, he responds with specific healing. Similar to when we confess specific sin, he gives specific grace to overcome sin. We can learn through Biblical poetry that grieving with God, brings us to hope and ultimately worship to him. We see Jesus on the cross praying Psalm 22 going from despair to hope. Lamentations doesn't end on a "happy note," and we got to discuss this question: "Describe a situation in which you are waiting on God to fulfill His promises. What are you learning about yourself? About God?"

I thought about someone with whom I've been sharing the good news about Jesus weekly for several years. Every week we land in a good place of clarity, and then it seems to fade until we meet again. So we prayed for him, and I got to experience a miraculous breakthrough less than 24 hours later. 

We drove around for a few hours, and I listened to him talk through what was on his heart and mind. We have a unique friendship and trust each other. While he was distraught and down about where he was in life, I shared what I saw as being good things in him and areas of accomplishment that were his. 

He tends to drudge up the past, and I encouraged him with a word from Earl Nightingale, "Don't water last year's crop," instead think about the person you want to become and focus on your ideal self.

I had the good news from Lamentations 3:22-24 on my mind, "Great is thy Faithfulness."

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father

There is no shadow of turning with Thee

Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not

As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be

Great is Thy faithfulness

Great is Thy faithfulness

Morning by morning new mercies I see

All I have needed Thy hand hath provided

Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest

Sun, moon and stars in their courses above

Join with all nature in manifold witness

To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love

Great is Thy faithfulness

Great is Thy faithfulness

Morning by morning new mercies I see

All I have needed Thy hand hath provided

Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth

Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide

Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow

Blessings all mine with 10,000 beside

Great is Thy faithfulness

Great is Thy faithfulness

Morning by morning new mercies I see

All I have needed Thy hand hath provided

Great is Thy faithfulness

Great is Thy faithfulness

Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me

No comments: