7/2/23

Freedom is an individual’s ability to choose one’s attitude

Positive relaxed states involve contentment, receptivity and interest. An activated state – such as enthusiasm, excitement and passion – can also be positive when you compare it to negative activated states like anxiety, fear or worry. By consciously switching from anger to determination, or from apathy to contentment, you can create virtuous cycles. - Alan Watkins

My Aunt Kathy Johnson died in hospice April 24 this year after a long few years of decline with Dementia. I remember about 8 years ago I prayed for her when she was in a coma that the Lord would heal her and let her live to complete the work he had for her (Ephesians 2:10). A month after that we had a great conversation about her faith journey. Saturday July 1, her daughter Jeanne and I went for a bike ride and spent time remembering Kathy. 

It's wonderful how the love we have for our family goes beyond their lifetime. This is what I think heaven will be like, an incredible welcome home, meeting all those who came before us. Seeing how are lives are more related, how a single person can change the world for the better. Yet it will be more than we can ever imagine. Our lives are like a seed, seeds don't grow bigger - they transform into a tree (1 Corinthians 15:35-53)

This year I'm developing an Alpha program at MNTC, hoping to include immediate family of clients to help them understand what God has done for them. Before that starts I'll be going to BWCA to enjoy nature and fellowship with friends. We're doing a Bible study that has me in Isaiah.

Isaiah 42:9, "Behold, the former things are come to pass, and new things do I declare: before they spring forth I tell you of them."

Isaiah 43:19, "For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland."

2 Corinthians 5:17, "Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away. Behold, the new has come!"

When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father, the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth. I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God.

Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen. - Ephesians 3:14-21


No comments: