8/10/23

God goes ahead and answers our prayers before we speak them (Isaiah 65:24)

Isaiah 65 has some familiar passages about the blessing of being human, that are often quoted in isolation. Meant to stir us towards hope and inspire good feelings that God is here for all of us. Here are some of the favorites:

I revealed Myself to those who did not ask for Me; I was found by those who did not seek Me (Isaiah 65:1, Romans 10:1-21)... to those who seek me (Isaiah 65:10)... I will answer their prayers before they finish praying (Isaiah 65:24).

Isaiah goes on to describe these people and God's patients with them that has limits. I appreciate the NLT of Isaiah 65

The Lord says, “I was ready to respond, but no one asked for help. I was ready to be found, but no one was looking for me. I said, ‘Here I am, here I am!’ to a nation that did not call on my name. All day long I opened my arms to a rebellious people. But they follow their own evil paths and their own crooked schemes. All day long they insult me to my face by worshiping idols in their sacred gardens. They burn incense on pagan altars. At night they go out among the graves, worshiping the dead. They eat the flesh of pigs and make stews with other forbidden foods. Yet they say to each other, ‘Don’t come too close or you will defile me! I am holier than you!’

I've been meditating on the the verse "those who seek me" - often we take scripture from what we think it means rather than what the prescribed way of seeking means to God (according to his word). 

So I did a quick search on seek the lordAmos 5 describes this as repentance, that God knows everything we've every done and not done. That seeking the Lord is more than a song but to "come back to him and live"

We should seek the Lord our God in the place where his name will be honored (Deuteronomy 12:5), continually seeking direction from the Lord (1 Chronicles 16:11, Judges 20:27). We are to do this with all our heart and soul, building our life as a sanctuary of the Lord (1 Chronicles 22:19, Romans 12:1-4). God want us to know him intimately, worship and serve him with our whole heart and a willing mind. For the Lord sees every heart and knows every plan and thought. If we seek him, we will find him. But if we forsake him, he will reject us forever (1 Chronicles 28:9).

Isaiah 65:11




No comments: