10/13/24

Knowing Jesus, the will of God

Knowing the will of God is a subject of great interest in the world today. In BSF this year we study the Revelation of Jesus Christ (Rev 1:1-3). This is God's gift, to make the future known, the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ. We are blessed when we read and take it to heart. 

Jesus said in Matthew 7:21-23 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.Luke 13:22-29 give this lesson in the context of judgement and repentance (Luke 13:1-5), spiritual growth (Luke 13:6-9), Jesus heals us on the day of rest (Luke 13:10-17), the disabled dies like a seed breaking out into a tree (Luke 13:18-19 - We lose our disabled life, and find eternal life in Christ John 12:24-26), like flour is transformed by yeast our life is transformed by the Kingdom of God (Luke 13:20-21). Salvation comes from entering into a relationship with Jesus (Luke 13:24, a "one at a time" narrow door), not through community service (Luke 13:25-30) or saving your own life (Luke 13:31-35). 

The phrase workers of lawlessness, reminded me of Cain and Abel, Cain brought produce, Abel brought his affection. Workers of lawlessness earn wages, "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 6:23). The gift of God is called Faith (Ephesians 2:8-10), not a job to do. We are saved by faith, through grace to do the good work God's called us to (family). 

To know the will of God we have to hear the Word of God, we have to focus on Jesus (John 1:1). In Hebrews we Understand the old testament in the light of Jesus Christ

Jesus’s heavenly authority: John 3:11-13; 5:19; 8:18, 26-29

  • Jesus came from heaven, tells us, he sees what the Father is doing, "Whatever the Father does, the Son also does.", Jesus is one witness, his Father who sent him is the other. 
  • So Jesus said, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man on the cross, then you will understand that I am he. I do nothing on my own but say only what the Father taught me. And the one who sent me is with me—he has not deserted me. For I always do what pleases him.”

Jesus fulfilled the Law and prophets (Matthew 5:17-18), Jesus is the truth (John 14:6), Christ has indeed been raised from the dead (1 Corinthians 15:20), and has power over death (John 1:4; 11:25-26), Jesus reigns (Philippians 2:9-11; Hebrews 2:8-9). 

Jesus died for my sins (Romans 5:8), freed me from sin’s penalty (Psalm 103:11-12; Isaiah 38:17; Romans 6:23; 8:1-2), freed me from sin’s power (Romans 6:1-14; 8:3-11; Philippians 2:12-13) and freed me from sin’s presence (1 John 3:2).

We are living stones and a royal priesthood (Exodus 16:34, 19:6, 28:21; 1 Peter 2:5, 9, Isaiah 65:15, John 6:35, Rev 2:17)

Jesus will return for everyone, living and dead will see him and mourn (Daniel 7:13; Zechariah 12; Matthew 24:30)

  • Job 19:26, "And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God;"
  • Heb 9:27-28, Just as man is appointed to die once, and after that to face judgment, so also Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many; and He will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who eagerly await Him.

No comments: