9/11/16

4 Habits to enrich your Bible Study

Bible study can be done, topically via key word search, or guided by a teacher like Grace to You: Wisdom-for-the-Workplace, but a favorite way of mine is to read whole books at a time because then you get the context of the teaching. Jesus taught that God's word was his and our sustenance. When ever I read the Bible I do so in keeping with these 4 habits: Choose, Trust, Ask and Expect.

1. Choose:
First habit is to choose to open the Bible, listen to the Bible and meditate on the Bible. You have time, you choose how to use your time. This choice can be made on commute. You can listen to the Bible for free with YouVersion or Biblegateway.

When you read you can also choose to read and listen in faith. John Piper says, "Faith feeds on the word of God. Without a steady diet it gets weaker and weaker. If you are dissatisfied with your Christian courage and joy and purity of heart, check the way you are feeding your faith." - please-feed-me-more

2. Trust:
To have faith in God, is to trust Him and believe his word is true. The Bible is "spiritual food" providing you guidance by the Holy Spirit. As Jesus promised in John 16:12-13, "There is so much more I want to tell you, but you can’t bear it now. When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own but will tell you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future. "

3. Ask
As I read, ask God for understanding. I ask him what it means, what he wants me to learn and put into practice.

4. Expect
I expect to be changed by my encounter with God's word. I expect God to fulfill his promises and I'm given eyes to see his plan and work in the world around me.