9/10/16

Fervent Charity and other words we don't use much anymore

For over 18 years my life verse has been 1 Peter 4:7-11 and just today I was struck by a version of this scripture I've never seen before but that you may be aware of. The King James Version has 1 Peter 4:8 saying this: "And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins." Now I was aware that KJV has the word "charity" to describe "Agape Love" which I think makes perfect sense (I was made aware of this from Jonathan Edwards book on 1 Corinthians 13). So I thought I do a little digging on these terms using Bible Gateway multiple version search feature. Here's what I found.

Search for key words in NLT, ESV, NIV, NKJV, KJV
Fervent Charity
 Here's what I found interesting;
Regarding Charity:
NLT is the only version that using Charity in Matthew 6:2 and this is the only place in that version with that word. Other version say, "give the needy ESV, NIV", "do acts of kindness AMP", "thou doest thine alms KJV" or "do a charitable deed NKJV" (on a side note I hit the limit of version you can read in parallel, it's five Matthew 6:2 NLT;ESV;AMP;NIV;NKJV

  • In Acts 9:36 ESV Tabitha (Dorcas) is described as being full of good works and acts of charity
  • Charity is in place of love in the KJV for 1 Cor 8:1;13:1-4,8,13;14:1;  I especially like how King James read for 1 Cor 16:14 "Let all your things be done with charity."  and Colossians 3:14 "And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness."
Regarding Fervent:
NKJV and KJV use the word the same but ESV and NIV use this word but not always together
  • Fervent is used to describe speech (Proverbs 26:23 NKJV, NIV, ESV; Mark 5:23 NLT ;Luke 22:44) as well as desire (Luke 22:15 NKJV) and a persons spirit (Acts 18:25 NKJV, KJV, ESV; Romans 12:11 NKJV,KJV, ESV)
    • Paul describes Epaphras who labors fervently in prayer (Colossians 4:12 KJV, NKJV). James 5:16-17 (NKJV, KJV, ESV) use fervent to describe prayer
    • Jesus offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to God in heaven and was heard because of his reverent submission (Hebrews 5:7 NIV)
  • 2 Corinthians 7:7 has "fervent mind" in the KJV. other versions say loyal (NIV), zeal (ESV, NKJV), AMP says " eagerly you took my part and supported me" and NIV says "ardent concern"(NLT;ESV;AMP;NIV;NKJV)
  • We are to love one another "fervently" 1 Peter 1:22;4:8
  • Regarding the Day of Lord, 2 Peter 3:10 NKJV says, "heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up."
Last one that Heb 5:7 NIV brought to mind is reverent but that will have to wait to be studied another day.