11/19/17

In Christ we are dead to sin, alive to God (Romans 6:1-11)

When I was younger in the faith I would justify what the Bible called sin as "God made me this way, it's natural for me, I am what I am." However, upon closer inspection, I realized that I accepted influences from other sources that shaped my identity. The Lord helped me remember my early experiences with exposure to music, movies, and images that created a desire in me that I can see now are harmful, contrary to God's design and purposes for my life.

Now earlier this week I had a kidney stone, this was a physical reminder of a spiritual reality. While the pain I felt was unseen, excruciating pain - it was a small foreign object that once expelled made my whole being rejoice and praise God! Sin is like that, unseen - unbearable at times, however once expelled you'll find immediate peace and relief that Paul has previously told us about Romans 5:1, 4:23-25, 3:21-22.

I'm reminded that if we let ourselves be complacent with sin in our lives what Paul said in Romans 2:4-5 may still be a word for some here, "Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance? But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God’s wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed. "

Romans 6, shows how believers are dead to sin and to God in Christ

A) Identified in Christ's death and resurrection
1) go on sinning so that grace increase?
 - sin increased, grace increased all the more (Romans 5:20)
 - If God is going to forgive us, why not keep sinning?
2) No! we died to sin
 - we have a new address new reality
 - sin is a power, sin/death reign, all born in Adam (Psalm 51)
 - died to sin, past tense. He took on our sin on the cross.
 - Sin in harmful to us/others/deadly. Not only saved
3) baptism into death
 - water can't separate us from Adam
 - it's a physical symbol of a spiritual reality, you could say it's the confession portion of Romans 10?
 - What does Baptism mean, why do it?
4) buried with him, we too may live a new life
 - Principle: Salvation gives the believer a new identity and new position in Christ
 - Application: sin doesn't control you, we have hope for change. We need to not coexist with sin. What habits and tendencies do you struggle with? What have you become comfortable with? Ask God to remove it from you, he will continue the good work he has started (Phil 1)

B) Power to live for God
5) united in Christ's death and resurrection
 - Jesus guarantees our resurrection, good for now - not just eternity
6-7) old self, crucified, might be/should be free, "died = set free from sin"
 - the old self is chapter 1, in Christ we are chapter 2
 - old self is the flesh, out of the heart/mind comes these
Principle: Salvation provides us with new power and a new ruler Jesus Christ
 - Some continue to live powerless, don't leave the gift unopened. 
 - In Christ we can't remain in sinful lifestyle
 - Salvation provides all we need to live to live for Christ
 - What have you left on the shelf, how different could your life look?
8-10) died to sin, death's not our master, live for God now and eternally
11) We count ourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus (Romans 6:11)