6/4/18

He washed their feet and opened their minds

I've been fascinated at the churches lack of embracing the example set by Jesus, who said - you don't understand this now, but later you will. (John 13:7). At the resurrection, he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures concerning himself. (Luke 24:45)

I know the example is that of a loving leader serving. In my imagination I see Jesus washing their feet and giving each a blessing of significance, that would have made the teaching in John 14-17 more memorable. These blessing I imagine would have impacted the apostles such that the epistles were written with these blessing in mind:
 - Romans 16:20, The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you.
 - 1 Cor 15:25, For He must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet.(1 cor 15:27, eph 1:22, heb 2:8)
As well as impacted the writting in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

So here are my imagined blessings not that come to mind from Jesus washing feet and blessing each person.It would be fun to make this into a short story, showing each person and matching a blessing with something found in their epistle or life story in Acts. Could perhaps be built into a VBS type class. Maybe someday.

Take off your sandals: Exodus 3:5, Joshua 5:9,15, Matthew 3:11, Acts 7:2,33

To Judas, as he washed his feet
 God promised, "He will strike your head, and you will strike his heel.” (Gen 3, John 13:27)

David sang, “And I have devoured them and shattered them, so that they did not rise;
And they fell under my feet.“Then I pulverized them as the dust of the earth;
I crushed and stamped them

To John, he recounted Abraham washing the Lord's feet from Genesis 18 (not one righteous one would be lost). 2 Peter 3:9, Matthew 18:14, John 6:39

To the next, as he washed his feet he quoted 2 Samuel 22, the song of David (Psalm 18)
“You have also given me the shield of Your salvation,
And Your help makes me great.
You enlarge my steps under me,
And my feet have not slipped.
next, “You know that David my father was unable to build a house for the name of the Lord his God because of the wars which surrounded him, until the Lord put them under the soles of his feet. (1 Kings 5:3)

You make him to rule over the works of Your hands; You have put all things under his feet, (Psalm 8:6)

You will tread down the wicked, for they will be ashes under the soles of your feet on the day which I am preparing,” says the Lord of hosts. (Malachi 4:3)

Then to the next, "How lovely on the mountains Are the feet of him who brings good news, Who announces peace And brings good news of happiness, Who announces salvation, And says to Zion, “Your God reigns!” (Isaiah 52:7)

"Behold, on the mountains the feet of him who brings good news, Who announces peace! Celebrate your feasts, O Judah; Pay your vows. For never again will the wicked one pass through you; He is cut off completely." (Nahum 1:15)

How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked,
Nor stand in the path of sinners,
Nor sit in the seat of scoffers!
But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water,
Which yields its fruit in its season
And its leaf does not wither;
And in whatever he does, he prospers. (Psalm 1)

How blessed are those whose way is blameless,
Who walk in the law of the Lord.
How blessed are those who observe His testimonies,
Who seek Him with all their heart.
They also do no unrighteousness;
They walk in His ways.
You have ordained Your precepts,
That we should keep them diligently. (Psalm 119), John 14:6

Teach me Your way, O Lord;
I will walk in Your truth;
Unite my heart to fear Your name.
I will give thanks to You, O Lord my God, with all my heart,
And will glorify Your name forever.
For Your lovingkindness toward me is great,
And You have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol. (Psalm 89), John 14:6

To Peter:
“It will come about after this
That I will pour out My Spirit on all mankind;
And your sons and daughters will prophesy,
Your old men will dream dreams,
Your young men will see visions.
“Even on the male and female servants
I will pour out My Spirit in those days. (Joel 2, Acts 2:14-41)

No comments: