6/11/18

What it means to be born again (1 Peter 1:1-2:3)


  1. What is the basis of our being born again? (v3)
    1. God's great mercy
  2. How does the Amplified version expand your understanding of what born-again salvation means? (v3-7)
    1. Reborn from above - Spiritually transformed, renewed, and set apart for his purpose to an ever-living hope and confident assurance through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead (1 Cor 15:14)
    2. Born anew into an inheritance which is imperishable, beyond the reach of change and undefiled and unfading reserved in heaven for you
      1. born of God, overcomes the world-our faith 1 John 5:4
    3. who are being protected and shielded by the power of God through your faith for the salvation that is ready to be revealed in heaven for you
      1. Shield of faith (Eph 6:16). 
      2. I am your shield; your reward shall be very great (Gen 15:1, Proverbs 30:1-33)
      3. LORD is my strength and shield, in Him my heart trusts - I'm helped, my heart exults, my song gives thanks to Him (Psalm 28:7)
    4. we endure trials so the genuineness of your faith, more precious than gold (perishable), tested and purified by fire, may be found to result in your praise and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ
      1. Zechariah 13:9, refine them, test them - they call upon my name, I will answer 'They are my people' they answer 'The LORD is my God'
      2. Isaiah 48:10, the furnace of affliction
      3. Malachi 3:3, Jesus/Holy Spirit/messenger (John the Baptist?) is the refiner so Sons of Levi will bring offerings in righteousness to the LORD. (in context of Robbing God)
      4. Job 23:10, he knows the way I take, when he tries me I'll come out as gold, The Lord tests hearts Proverbs 17:3, Psalm 66:10
      5. Rev 3:18, buy from me gold refined by fire, white garments, eyes to see
  3. What promises from Jesus was Peter experiencing? (v8-9, John 14:29, 20:29)
    1. I'm telling you before it happens so you believe, blessed are they who did not see me yet believed
    2. They love, trust, rejoice joyfully, the reward is the salvation of your souls
  4. What details of the “living hope” appeal to you? (v3-12)
    1. Spirit of Christ in prophets is in us, we want to know more about these promises (v10-11)
    2. Eternal life starts now and lasts forever, Purification by fire, shield of faith (see above)
  5. How is God calling you to change? (v1:13-2:3)
    1. Must live as God's obedient children (14), be holy in everything you do (15), judgment or reward according to my actions as his servant/ambassador (17)
    2. Cleansed from sins when obeyed the truth (22)
    3. Get rid of evil behavior, hypocrisy, jealousy, unkind speech (2:1)


No comments: