8/25/18

7 deadly sins and their opposites

I'm taking a course with Strategic Renewal and came across this list of deadly sins and their opposites. This reminded me of 1 John 5:15, "If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask, and God will give him life—to those who commit sins that do not lead to death. There is sin that leads to death; I do not say that one should pray for that."


  1. Sloth Fruitfulness (not productivity)
  2. Envy Love
  3. Greed Generosity
  4. Pride Humility
  5. Anger Gentleness
  6. Lust         Chastity
  7. Gluttony         Self-denial, moderation


Got Questions points to Acts 5:1–10 and 1 Corinthians 11:28–32 and says, "The “sin unto death” is willful, continuous, unrepentant sin. God has called His children to holiness (1 Peter 1:16), and God corrects them when they sin (Hebrews 12:6).

Statements below reflect the seven sins opposite in my life
  1. I have Peace that transcends understanding and joy in hardships
  2. I’m happy when I see others succeed, I want the best for Kim even though it costs me time, money and energy. I feel this way about ministry as well.
  3. I give because God has made it possible and it’s a way of extending his grace through my actions
  4. I’m new today, overflowing, having been blessed with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms yet like Christ empty myself
  5. When someone wrongs me, I see childlike innocents and don't snap in anger but gentleness
  6. Keeping my eyes from provocative images and people and staying shocked at indecency 
  7. I tend to "overdo it" in life, wanting "more and faster" - moderation is difficult for me in life and work.


No comments: