5/1/19

Walking in the light: see the dirt in our lives, confess and conquer sin

Reading Wiersbe, Be Real (1 John): Turning from Hypocrisy to Truth (The BE Series Commentary).
Chapter two,Walking and Talking (1 John 1:5-2:6)
Continued from Walking in light involves progressive humility and honesty (1 John 1:5-2:6)
 - Sin is our obstacle the Holy Spirit enables Grace for victory, we shall overcome by Faith!
Walking in light involves honest, obedience and love and following the example of walking like Jesus (1 John 2:6). Abiding in Christ (John 15). As he is we are (1 John 4:17,1:7,3:3).
Three approaches to sin:
1. Cover with lies to others, self, God. We diagnose dishonesty with our feeling/involvement with Bible, fellowship, prayer, worship and finally our character. See David part 1 in the cover-up leading to murder and death of his son.
 - The real self is better than a false self of shallow, tasteless lies.

2. We can confess our sins (say the same thing about it that God says about it). Not "if" or "we" but name your sin. Not pious excuses, trying to impress God or others. Not vague religious statements about symbols, but real confession. Be honest about it and you'll find that Christ is our advocate, our eternal living high priest. The Holy Spirit brings us into true confession before God and enables us to bear witness Celebrate Recovery
 - Cross makes it possible, the resurrection makes it real, we partake/experience in the Holy Spirit
 - Jesus finished the work on earth (John 17:4) but has "unfinished work" in heaven (Heb 4:15-16, 7:23-28).
 - Zech 3:1-7, Rev 12:10 - filthy garments changed by Christ: Rags to Riches, how the Holy Spirit changes us everyday See David part 2 "Create in me a clean heart, O God (Psalm 51:10)

3. We can conquer our sins (2:1-3,5-6)
 - "I am writing these things to you that you may not sin" 1 John 2:1 NASB
 - Be sincere without offense (Phil 1:10) - sincere literally means "without wax", sculptors used wax to cover mistakes
 - walking in light means Obeying God's Word (1 John 2:3-4, Lamp to my feet (Psalm 119:105) - daily time in God's Word, discovering His will and then obeying what He has told us.
 - Obedience to God's Word is proof of our love for Him. - we have to, need to or want to. (if you love, keep commandments John 14:15

1. How can Christians benefitf rom Bible's teaching on "sinning saints"
 - Confess our sins and concur them in the Power of God's grace through faith

2. Is sin worse in the life of a Christian?
 - yes, we sin against more light

3. How do Christians try to cover up their sins?
 - Rationalizing, blaming, denial (lying)

4. Why is honesty with ourselves, others and God important in our lives?
 - without it we won't have a life of sustance, but an empty life full of hunger

5. How can we build into our lives the habit of honesty with ourselves, others and God about our sins?
 - Pay attention to our feeling during quiet times with the Lord in Bible, fellowship and worship. If we are not engaged, discover it's a sign of lost connection and ask God to uncover it's root in my life.
 - Have a listener mindset rather than a judger mindset. "search me o'God and know my heart, see if there be some wicked way in me"

6. How is Jeus our Advocate?
 - He's alive and says I paid for that, he's with me.

7. Wiersbe thinks it's essential to name our sins as God would when we are confessing them. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
 - Yes it's great advice. Otherwise, we can be full of religious nonsense.
 - shows we understand it

8. How does our motivation for obedience change as we mature?
 - Forced to do it, have to do it, I want to do it.

9. What does it mean to "walk in the light?" Give a practical example.
 - Walking in the light involves honest, obedience and love and following the example of walking like Jesus (1 John 2:6). Abiding in Christ (John 15). As he is we are (1 John 4:17,1:7,3:3) - acording to God's Word.
 - Progressive humility and honesty
 - Ability to see ourselves clearly as God does, thereby confessing and conquering sin
Example: Being kind to people I don't know without thinking of selfish gains, see their needs and filling it.

10. "Before we can walk in light, we must know ourselves, accept ourselves, and yield ourselves to God." Do you agree? Explain

Search me, O God, and know my heart today,
Try me, O Savior, know my thoughts, I pray;
See if there be some wicked way in me;
Cleanse me from every sin, and set me free.

Lord, take my life, and make it wholly Thine;
Fill my poor heart with Thy great love divine;
Take all my will, my passion, self and pride;
I now surrender, Lord, in me abide.


No comments: