11/13/19

Peter wants us to understand salvation from God through faith (1 Peter 1

I've been seeing God at work in my life through SALT, MNTC/Alpha, BSF, and regular Sunday church. This week has been about prayer. At church, I saw my friend Daniel Henderson and my small group members talking with our marriage mentors. It's a small world when we come together in prayer. I'm excited to look into 1 Peter in the next few weeks and see what differences come about this time as I had already studied Peter last year.

Prayer: Help me Lord, to repent from my sins and never turn back. Be with our group tonight as we talk through how do I avoid evil. Lead us in repentance to you. In Jesus Name.

The Lord is my strength and shield.
I trust him with all my heart.
He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy.
I burst out in songs of thanksgiving. Psalm 28:7

1 Peter 1-2
Peter wants us to know salvation is based on God's mercy
1-2) God's choosing, his Spirit has made you holy (Psalm 139:7).
3) God's great mercy, we are born again from above.
4) Spiritually transformed, renewed, set apart for his purpose to an ever-living hope and confident assurance through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead (1 Cor 15:14).
5) Our Salvation is protected and shielded by the power of God through your faith, salvation ready to be revealed in heaven to you (Eph 6:16, Gen 15:1, Proverbs 30:1-33, Psalm 28:7).
6-7) Joy results in tested, genuine faith; we look past trials to the Day of the Lord
 - 8-9) Trusting Jesus brings joy, salvation for the soul
 - 10-12) Prophets wondered, now preached in the power of the Holy Spirit, angels eagerly watch

B) Set my heart and mind on holiness because God has a new creation in me
13) Minds alert fully sober, set hope on future grace when Jesus comes
14) Obedient children not conformed to evil desires of ignorance
15-16) God is holy, so I must be holy in all I do
17-19) Call home to God our Father who redeemed me from the empty life with the blood of Christ
 - 20) Chosen before creation of world, revealed in these last times for your sake
 - 21) It's through Jesus we believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, our faith and hope is in God.
22) Now purified self by obeying the truth, sincere love for each other, deeply from the heart
23) Born again from seed, imperishable, living, enduring word of God "grass, glory of flowers, field 25) but the word of God endures forever, preached to you
2:1-3) rid yourself of malic, deceit, hypocrisy, envy and slander of every kind, new-born, spiritual milk, grow up in salvation, now have tasted that the Lord is good.
 - I see the teaching of Jesus, don't worry about today - the flowers are gloriously dressed, not worried but more beatiful than the richest person. (Matt 6:28-30, Luke 12:27)
 - I see the imperishable seed teaching from Jesus and from Isaish (Isaiah 35:1, 40:8) and James 1:9-11
 - I'm reminded of salvation and the word of God from Luke 8:11-15
 - Luke 8:13, joy for a little while but no root (Isaiah 35:1, 40:8), I'm looking forward to study of Isaiah again with a sharper lens on Jesus's interpretation/clarity.




No comments: