4/20/21

Godly fear, kindness, sorrow, patience bring us to true repentance

In my BSF lesson this morning we see Judah interceded for Benjamin’s freedom and pled to take his place. What a wonderful blessing Godly fear can be in our lives. To move from being a counterfeit to a new creation. 

13. What points in Judah’s speech show God’s work in his heart? (Genesis 44:18-34)

 - He confesses "God uncovered our guilt (Gen 44:16)". He's humble and respectful to authority (18-20), and tells the truth (21-32). Judah offers himself in place of the innocent (33-34), willing to do the time for the crime and takes responsibility for the oath he made to his father. 

14. What could others see in you as evidence of God’s work in your life? What has contributed to that growth?

 - I work to help friends, acquaintances and strangers succeed in life. I build bridges of positive change, connecting people to God's way of life. My best friends were once strangers who went out of their way to show me the love of Christ. God gave me the gift of faith and repentance and the power to follow through. 

15. a. Read Romans 2:4; 2 Corinthians 7:9-10 and 2 Peter 3:9. What is the difference between regret and repentance?

 Genesis 44:33-34;Romans 2:4; 2 Corinthians 7:9-10; 2 Peter 3:9

  • Fear when God uncovers your guilt (Gen 43-44)
  • God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance (Rom 2:4)
  • ...your sorrow led you to repentance. For you became sorrowful as God intended...Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret (2 Cor 7:9-10)
  • The Lord...is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance (2 Peter 3:9)
The pride of mankind is to cause irreparable damage, then either try to 'make it work' or 'not care about it' but the wisdom of God is to humbly admit our guilt to God (Psalm 32:5; 1 John 1:9; Acts 19:18), accept his forgiveness in Jesus name (Romans 5:8; John 14:6; 1 John 5:20; Romans 10:13) and commit our lives to Jesus (John 10:10; Romans 12:1-3).

b. When has God’s kindness and patience led you to face your sin and repent? 

I've been in a weekly prayer group for Alpha in our region every Monday. Every Monday is an opportunity for me to see God's kindness and patience. When I pray with others and for others I see my sin and know that God wants to make me new and whole again. Often when it's time to pray I don't join in the presents of God because I'm harboring something that I need to let go. What a gift that God is kind and patient with me. Today is new day for all of us. Christ is greater in the rest he gives (Hebrews 3:7-4:13)

No comments: