8/28/22

What my life will mean 200 years from now (Coram Deo)

So interesting how life cycles work, we started Alpha in the fall of 2017 at MNTC, where I met James and had the opportunity to mentor him briefly. At the TC annual choir event (at my church grace.church) he was reminded of a phrase: Coram Deo. That was four years ago and I've still struggled with living apart from Him in my old pattern of life. (Everyone's choice: sacrilege or Coram Deo). 

  • Coram Deo: Presence of God, under His authority, for his glory, honor, and pleasure.
  • Old pattern: Absence of God, in defiance of Him, paralyzed and frustrated 

Yesterday I got to participate in the first Alpha Weekend at TC Lakeside Academy. 

It was my friend Marty's first Alpha and we talked about EMAW. He was getting ready to lead and didn't want to get to stretch too thin with more work than is reasonable. Today I'm listening to R.C. Sproul, The Goal of Christian Living: Pleasing God

"in life, we tend to start all kinds of enterprises but then once we reach a plateau that requires perseverance we quit and say, 'I've reached the limit of my ability - I'll go no further'. But the only way to get to the next level is to persevere and as we do it gets easier."

He talks about this illustration:

Millions "start" piano lessons but very few make it to proficiency, where they can pick up and play. Arrested development, stuck in "second grade" for 5 years. Never achieving "concert pianist" level. 

Christian experience can be similar. I've met people who said, "I've tried it and decided to move on to something else." But more accurately, "I started but found it difficult and didn't continue." I've met many "Bonsai Christians" - good-looking but way smaller than their God-given potential.

I'm connecting that ministry is similar. We go from apprehensive and awkward, to understanding through practice and finally proficiency. 

Grateful to be starting People of the Promise 2: Kingdom Divided.

Perseverance + Purpose

Lord may we be curious and welcoming - making Bible Study accessible with our approachability.  

No comments: