10/21/22

Biblical view of belief and faith is like a lion pouncing on a stag (Mark 12:30)

 I'm reading Letter to the American Church by Eric Metaxas. In the chapter The Church Paralyzed, he has a great illustration taken from Os Guinness in his book The Great Quest.

European idea of "belief" has devolved into an intellectual exercise that may be expressed in the image of a hunter raising his rifle to shoot at a stag from a great distance. But the African way of thinking about faith - of course, the biblical way - presents us with the much more visceral image of a lion pouncing upon a stag. The Lion's whole being is required in action; its sinews, muscles, and bones are all vitally central to the task. But of course, the hunter from a distance only needs to aim and then move his index finger half an inch. We can see why that may somehow be preferable to the lion's approach, but about faith and belief, it is not at all adequate. We need to engage with everything in us. 

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ - Mark 12:30

Prayer: Lord, my heart has gotten messy with things that distract me from you. My soul has been divided between competing goals. My mind has been away from the present moments you ask me to enter. Yet each morning you renew my strength and welcome me to receive your mercy. I love you Lord and want to fully follow you today in faith, hope, and love. My heart is yours; my soul's at peace. Thank you for these moments of quiet reflection. 

My mind went to "Morning by morning new mercy I see" - Lamentations 3:22-24, but the Lord brought me here:

The Sovereign Lord has given me his words of wisdom, so that I know how to comfort the weary. Morning by morning he wakens me and opens my understanding to his will. The Sovereign Lord has spoken to me, and I have listened. I have not rebelled or turned away. - Isaiah 50:4-5

Who among you fears the Lord and obeys his servant? If you are walking in darkness, without a ray of light, trust in the Lord and rely on your God. But watch out, you who live in your own light and warm yourselves by your own fires. This is the reward you will receive from me: You will soon fall down in great torment. - Isaiah 50:10-11

Listen to me, all who hope for deliverance—all who seek the Lord! Consider the rock from which you were cut, the quarry from which you were mined. Yes, think about Abraham - Isaiah 51:1-2

Isaiah 51, only God's salvation and righteousness last forever. 

...my salvation lasts forever. My righteous rule will never end! “Listen to me, you who know right from wrong, you who cherish my law in your hearts. Do not be afraid of people’s scorn, nor fear their insults. - Isaiah 51:6-7

For I am the Lord your God, who stirs up the sea, causing its waves to roar. My name is the Lord of Heaven’s Armies. And I have put my words in your mouth and hidden you safely in my hand. Isaiah 51:15-16

Bible study without prayer is light without heat

Sign of Jonah - Listen and repent for salvation and receive true Light (Luke 11:29-36)

Discovering the Light of listening and being Salt (Luke 8-14)

No comments: