3/17/19

Give your heart to God and let your eyes delight in him (Proverbs 23:26, John 14:6)

A popular verse has been "delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart (Psalm 37:3,4).
The idea behind this verse and others like it is that, when we truly rejoice or “delight” in the eternal things of God, our desires will begin to parallel His and we will never go unfulfilled. Matthew 6:33 says, “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things [the necessities of life] will be given to you as well.” - What does it mean to delight yourself in the Lord (Psalm 37:4)?

My son, give me your heart
 - Father-son relationship
 - free will gift
 - the heart is the core of motivation, innermost being (Deut 6:5, Proverbs 4:23)
 - Jesus said, “Whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life” (John 4:14)

let your eyes delight in my ways (NIV)
 - take delight in following my ways (NLT)
 - let your eyes observe my ways (ESV), keep your eyes fixed on my ways (ISV)
 - gladly follow my example (CEV)
 - let my life be your example (GNT)

Give me your heart my son, and your eyes will keep my ways (Aramaic Bible in Plain English)

But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on His law he meditates day and night. (Psalm 1:2)

  • Your testimonies are indeed my delight; they are my counselors. (Psalm 119:24)
  • My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments; (Proverbs 3:1)
  • he taught me and said, "Let your heart lay hold of my words; keep my commandments and you will live. (Proverbs 4:4)

Whoso is wise, and will observe these things, even they shall understand the lovingkindness of the LORD. (Psalm 107:43)

Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart… (Psalm 119:2,9-11
https://biblehub.com/proverbs/23-26.htm

Love, Belief and Works are hallmarks of disciples of Jesus (John 13:31-14:14)
Jesus teaches love precedes obedience and the indwelling Holy Spirit (John 14:15-31)
Remaining in Jesus brings relational consequences with God and people (John 15:1-16:4)
Jesus teaches about the Father's love and Holy Spirit's guidance (John 16:5-33)
Jesus prays for himself, believers and testimony to the world (John 17:1-26)

No comments: