8/10/21

God's patience displayed in Israel's folly and Judah's obedience (Hosea 11)

Key verse: For my people are determined to desert me. They call me the Most High, but they don’t truly honor me. (Hosea 11:7)

Patience: "the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset."

God's Patience: determination under long-suffering to show compassion, mercy, and grace

 - Long-suffering: "having or showing patience in spite of troubles, especially those caused by other people."

 Hosea 11

11:1-3) Israel young (first 600 years), God loved, called to repentance/obedience, yet idolatry - healed them

4) Led them gently cords of kindness, love to guide them, lifting/easing the yoke of the law, feeding them

 - Matthew 11:29 - Take my yoke (the law of love) upon you, and learn from me. 

 - I have set you an example so that you should do as I have done for you (John 13:15),  So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.” (John 13:34-35)

5-6) My people refuse repentance, war, enemies, trapped in own evil plans/counsels

7) My people, determined/bent on turning away from Most High, but don't truly honor him

 - Our determination matters and honor is shown in behavior. Determined: "having made a firm decision and being resolved not to change it."

 - Application: When learning from God, being led by the Holy Spirit, and shown what is sin, righteousness, and judgment. Have I decided to follow Jesus or continue in my sin?

8-11) God's reaction: "My heart is torn within me, and my compassion overflows." not violence/hatred. Hope that "someday the people will follow me", "like doves...I will bring them home again" says the LORD

12) Israel surrounds me with lies/deceit but Judah still obeys God and is faithful to the Holy One

 - Intriguing variation in human experience, to choose or not to choose?


No comments: